Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First pizzas tomorrow night - any tips or suggestions?

Options
newegg13
newegg13 Posts: 231
edited July 2012 in Baking
I'm going to give pizza a shot for the first time tomorrow night. I'm taking the easy way on the dough and buying it from Whole Foods (I'll try harder next time). I'll also be using my AR to get it high in the dome. Does anyone have any tips for a pizza first timer? What else do I need to know? What temps/times do you suggest. Discuss . . . Thanks for the input.
Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Let the pizza stone warm up for at least 45 minutes.  Cook in the dome, I use the plate setter legs down, then three bricks, grate and stone.  I find that gives a good balance between the stone temp and the dome temp - you don't want one or the other to overcook.  Be frugal with toppings, less is more (counter intuitive).  Pile too much stuff on it and you'll have undercooked dough on the top of the pie.

Start around 600-700.  It should take about 8 minutes, but don't worry about time, go with the way it looks.  Adjust.  Usually the last pizzas I make are the best because I'm tweaking the toppings, temp, etc.

Kiss your gasket buh-bye
    Options
    I am in the same boat here!  Getting ready for the first pizza bake on Sunday.  I was thinking fresh mozzerella, sun dried tomatoes and basil on one, and sausage, onion and bacon on the other.  Thanks for the tips! 

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    The only thing I would do different than nolaegghead is put the feet up. I already toasted my gasket and could have saved that headache by putting the feet up with the stone on top of grill. Key thing is to let the stone heat up like he said.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The only thing I would do different than nolaegghead is put the feet up. I already toasted my gasket and could have saved that headache by putting the feet up with the stone on top of grill. Key thing is to let the stone heat up like he said.
    Since I've upgraded the gasket, I don't worry about the feet down anymore.  But you're right, that's how I fried my factory felt.