Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Houston, we have a problem.

Options
Baysidebob
Baysidebob Posts: 489
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

So I'm minding my own d@#%ned bidness and I see it!  The wife is lurking on the BGE forum.  Everything was fine, just fine.  I do outside, she does inside.  She already knows EVERYTHING food.  Thank cable TV for that.  So how should I deal with this new knowledge base:

Bark and growl (never worked before).

Be compliant and do as she says (can't choke that one down).

Patiently allow "in one ear and out the other" (has worked on other issues).

I'm grateful she has an interest.  With just a bit of manipulation I can hog out on aftermarket BGE stuff.  Is that the way to go?

How do you deal with significant other stepping on your BGE turf?

My actuary says I'm dead.

Comments

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    I can't help you there. The odds of my wife suddenly deciding she wants to be involved with the food in any way other than eating it are about the same as me getting a working teleportation machine for Christmas this year.
    XL BGE
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    Embrace it, er, her!
  • Fishingtampabay
    Options
    Let her have fun cooking on the egg, a soon as she say she says...I am having fun BBQ. Time to tell her about buying egg number 2!

Thats how I got my two eggs...:)
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Let her open the Egg at 500plus. She will speak to you a lot for a short time, then not so much. Don't ask how I know. Dear it is called burping, I told you several times.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Let her open the Egg at 500plus. She will speak to you a lot for a short time, then not so much. Don't ask how I know. Dear it is called burping, I told you several times.
    Unfortunately, I didn't read that part of the manual.  I had choked down a hot egg to cook something else and was engulfed (at least my arms) in a giant napalm cloud.  Came back in the house smelling sans most of the hair on my arms.
    Options
    Irish Sunglasses. Just kidding of course
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Man that's tough. Mine calls me out on all the lies I tell on here so that's a non starter. She went to a baking forum and she said it just wasn't as funny. I guess people just don't do things like this on imabakingnerd.com:

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Options
    You Tube bit is great
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    masterful
    Options
    =))
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Bob, I think she needs her own Egg. Thx Cen-Tex for the vid link. Lol
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Wildhorse1966
    Options
    my girlfriend is determined to buy a mini egg ... she thinks she is going to name it and we are going to use it on a picnic LOL
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    ROTFLMAO !!!!!

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    lotta references in there to people who don't hang here anymore. heck, it was barely relevant then, less so now!

:))

my personal fave is the anti-social network version, but the central 'character' has been MIA for years.

ah, the good old days, when people could take a joke or seven.
    :-<
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options

@ stike-great video-and thanks Cen-Tex for posting.  Great way to start the Friday into a weekend!

@ OP-+1 with the suggestions to buy her her own BGE. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Still a Classic in my book. The anti social network is hilarious too. Forgot about that one.
  • Little Steven
    Options
    I can't really talk about them as the civil action is still underway.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Division of labor.  Get her an XL, put it on the other side of the deck, and turn over a portion of the cooks.  It sounds stereotype, but if she likes baking make her XL the one that never sees meat, and enjoy the bread, pies, quiches that pop out of it!  Encourage her to become the pizza queen.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• moose28
    moose28 Posts: 61
    Options
    Haha. Those vids made my morning.
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    After 2 years of me cooking on the BGE my wife got interested...four years later we have 4 BGE's and go to 5-6 fests around the country a year....embrace her getting involved....
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    If you play this correctly, you'll soon have a 2nd BGE. If it's her idea to get her her own BGE then she can't mad at YOU when she decides it isn't worth the "trouble".

GOOD LUCK!
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    Options
    check 'eggzilla'.  back before this place existed, someone named 'number5' was posting all sorts of official sounding stuff on the old forum.  the forums have never had an obviously 'official' BGE representative who posted only official stuff.  but number5 seemed to be on the inside. 

someone posted a pic of what was obviously an oversized BGE trade show prop, but more than a few people were convinced it was a new super BGE called 'Eggzilla'. i think 'number5' posted some press release from BGE (but obviously a joke) mentioning it too.  and the conspiracy theorists were up and running.  YES it was real', 'here's a photo!', etc.  people were debating how much it would weigh, etc.  apparently none actually LOOKED at the photo and tried to figure out how a mere mortal would even be able to open the dome....

hence the clip.  BGE actually had it on their facebook page until a few people wigged out because of the 'cursing' and use of Hitler in satire.... bwa bwa bwaaa

here: >>>> Eggzilla

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    pure awesomeness
  • OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO.
    Options
    Maybe you can get another egg out of this recent development.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Eggzilla

Options
    I kenw it was true!  Eggzilla lives! I believe..........
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    Wonder what the daisy wheel weighs.
    XL BGE
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Oh my! Buy her her own egg and just get over it! :)
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And get her a headlamp and some gloves too (but tell her to leave the iPhone inside while cooking)

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    And get her a headlamp and some gloves too (but tell her to leave the iPhone inside while cooking)

yes, the phone has to stay on the table or inside now!! =)) :)>-