Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie - How many cooks before trying high temperature?

Options
ratcheer
ratcheer Posts: 189
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have had my BGE for one week and have done about 5 cooks, all at 350 or lower. I have seen recommendations of doing "a few" cooks before going to the higher temperatures required for steaks, e.g. Even the BGE manual says this. However, the Naked Whiz says that no break-in is needed.

What is the feeling here about break-in? If it is necessary, how many low-temp cooks need to be done before deeming the break-in complete? "A few" is pretty indefinite.

My family is hankering for steaks, but I do not want to ruin the gasket before I get started good.

Tim

Comments

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    edited July 2012
    Options
    You have done enough low temp cooks to take your Egg as hot as needed!

Lots of people worry about how many low temp cooks are needed. I would maybe do 1 just in case there were a lot of moisture in the egg so it can leave and not crack when you jump right into 700+. And that is only when the Egg was brand new.

However you will be more then fine as you sit now!! Enjoy.

Also don't worry about the gasket. You can't save the stock gasket. Just no way will it stay nice so don't worry about it ;)
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I think the felt is damaged by high temperature cooking no matter if it is used for several cooks at lower temperatures or not.  I think the difference is that the damage is more visible on a brand new felt gasket.  I don't have much of a gasket left but temperature control seems to be pretty darn good without it but in any case I think in the next month or so I will glue a high temp gasket on there.

Gerhard
  • ratcheer
    Options
    Thanks, Adamd. This is going to be fun!

Tim
  • ratcheer
    Options
    gerhardk, I was reading a post in some forum that said he didn't think the gasket is ruined at all by high cooking temps, but instead by letting the lid down too hard on it. This did not include the ones that came with bad glue. But he said he had been using his original gasket for several years and he thought it was still good.

I don't know whether he is right, but I am always letting my lid down gently.

Tim
  • pswarren
    pswarren Posts: 98
    Options
    I would say you are good to go. Even after break in though it will not be a guaranty that the gasket won't fry, so get out there and enjoy it and have some fun.
  • Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    Options
    You're good to go, crank that beast up to 650 and sear you some steaks....and they are right, kiss that stock gasket goodbye, get a high temp one at some point and don't worry about it, that's what I did after scorching 2 of the cheap ones...
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Gasket, schmasket.  Only reason I can think of for a low temp initial firing is to finish curing the felt adhesive.  Once should be enough, if that's even really necessary.