Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Babyback experiment results

billyray
billyray Posts: 1,275
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum

I asked a question on a previous post about dome vs. grill temp. on a direct cook. The purpose was to determine what dome temp. to use for direct cooking of BB's. I decided to try 300 dome with my AR oval grill at the felt line. Before we got the large Egg we would do BB's on a Weber gasser. Although we love low and slow ribs, I needed to come up with a way to do them when I didn't get home from work until 6 PM. Since the wife didn't like to mess with the grill, I couldn't start cooking until I got home and I didn't want to wait until 10 or 11 PM to eat, so I came up with a way to have ribs with a 1 hour cook. We've been doing these for the last 10 years or so, when time was a issue.

I'd have the wife take the ribs out of the fridge an hour before I got home and rub them with Worcestershire and season. Then I would cook for 30 minutes bone side down @ 325, flip and cook meat side down for 10 minutes, flip and add sauce and cook for another 20 minutes, pull and tent with alum. foil for 10-15 minutes.

The following pics are my 1st attempt to do a fast cook on the Egg @300 dome at the felt line.

2 racks cut in half to fit on the oval grill, 1 rack seasoned with Dizzy Dust Coarse and 1 seasoned with McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoningimage

After 30 minutes flipped to meat sideimage

After 10 minutes flipped back to bone side and saucedimage

After 20 minutes, pulled and tented for 15 minutesimage

Sliced up and ready to eatimage

What I will do different next time is start the fire in 4 spots, half way between the center of the lump and fire box. On this cook I started the fire in 1 spot, dead center of the lump. This created some hot spots during the 1st 30 minutes of the cook. I may reduce the dome to 275 and cook at the felt line or add the extender to the AR and cook higher in the dome @ 300. If you want BB's and time is an issue, give this a try and post what you think.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    How were these? They look to be way undercooked IMHO, but maybe it is just the pics.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• brian4206
    brian4206 Posts: 19
    They don't look too appetizing to me. May be undercooked, and definitely a little charred. I feel your pain with wanting ribs during the week but don't get home in time
  • billyray
    The pics do not do them justice. They were moist and flavorful. A nice bite and pull and the meat came off the bone. I'll probably go a total of an hour and a half next time and see what the difference is. I might just keep taking 1 rib off every 1/2 hour to dial in the time.
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Do you use the plate setter? I just bought one and am looking to try it this weekend on a pork shoulder, though I've had my BGE for a month.
  • billyray
    These babybacks were done direct. For sure use your plate setter or other indirect object for a indirect cook of a pork shoulder. Also use a drip pan for easy clean up.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    The pics do not do them justice. They were moist and flavorful. A nice bite and pull and the meat came off the bone. I'll probably go a total of an hour and a half next time and see what the difference is. I might just keep taking 1 rib off every 1/2 hour to dial in the time.
    Just can't imagine them being done by the times in your OP, but if you've been doing them that way for years I'm sure they suit you and your family.  That is all that counts.
  • You can definitely do ribs direct and fast. Bobby flay said so, so it must be true :)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Lot of BGEers do, actually.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I've never seen this, but it is an interesting way to have ribs in a short amount of time.  Just curious, if you wanted them more tender, could you wrap in foil and crank it up to 350 or so for part of the time?  
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    At 300 degree, cook for an hour and tent for 15 minutes??? Have I missed something here???
    Eggo in N. MS
  • TaylorCR
    TaylorCR Posts: 34
    You can defiantly cook ribs direct & fast...

Im pretty sure that is how Rendezvous cooks theirs in Memphis & they are dang good. 
    I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• billyray
    edited July 2012

eggo

At 300 degree direct, I'm about 350 grate temp. I'm still playing with the temp and time on the egg, this cook was done back in January. Until last Nov. it was all done on the gasser. When my youngest son was at Ole Miss (2004), we would go back to visit during football season and do them to take to the Grove. I'd do 2 separate cooks of 3 racks each on his gasser, started cooking at 6 am and be over at the Grove by 9 am. The first time we did this, we had the ribs out on the table and with our crowd and others passing by, they were all gone in about an hour. For future games we hid them under the table cloth until lunch time.

Just finishing my 4th week of throat cancer treatment, only 3 weeks left, yea!!! With no taste buds, I'll be waiting a little while to get back in the saddle and fine tuning on the egg.

• billyray
    edited July 2012

TaylorCR

Interesting that you mentioned Rendezvous in Memphis. We went there on one of our visits to Oxford. We ordered both the wet and dry ribs, my son and some of his friends all said the ones we bring to the Grove were better. Totally unsolicited response.

:))
  • Lilpossum
    Lilpossum Posts: 12
    YES That is how they are done down at the Rendezvous which would explain the inconsistent ribs that you get down there.I have seen 20-30min of just nothing but smoke followed by wrapping them in foil with a small amount of apple juice,beer,etc.. at a higher temp 400 for an hour.you'll get all the smoke and the pull as long as the membrane is removed first.Blues City on Beale Street is the ribs you need to try!!!But as long as it works for ya keep it going
  • Lilpossum
    Lilpossum Posts: 12
    Good luck to ya with you're treatment billyray thats the most important thing here!!!!Hope all works out
  • TaylorCR
    TaylorCR Posts: 34

TaylorCR

Interesting that you mentioned Rendezvous in Memphis. We went there on one of our visits to Oxford. We ordered both the wet and dry ribs, my son and some of his friends all said the ones we bring to the Grove were better. Totally unsolicited response.

Of course thats what they said... they want you to keep bringin'em  ...haha.  Next time Im at the Grove for either a Bama/ Arky game Ill hit you up & then I will also be able to confirm yours are better... haha

Ive never had their wet ribs... didnt even know they had those available on the menu. 
    I like dry ribs so TIFWIW...

I mostly just mentioned Rendezvous bc I believe they cook them hot & fast...

Good luck with the rest of your treatments. 
    I stole two Charolais heifers ...

Little Rock, Arkansas

• On my old smoker if I was pressed for time, or just did not want to deal with stoking the fire box I use to cook them direct.  Close to what billyray was doing, but it took me about two hours.  I would put the ribs over the hot coals until it browned up nice on both sides and then pulled them off to the side and finish indirect. They would pull from the bone but in some cases with that kind of heat they ended up overcooked, but still good.   
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,166
    @ billyray-continued good luck with the treatments-I'm waitin for you to get rolling with that roadkill cook when you get dialed back into the saddle!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.