Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

T-Bone

MrCookingNurse
MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
edited July 2012 in EGGtoberfest
Woot woot. Just laid out two tbones. I usually marinate my steaks for a 24 hours after they are thawed but wanna try just rub this time. Our steaks are frozen cause we buy a whole cow each spring.

I have red eye express and dales. Should I do just red eye or marinate with dales and then red eye before the grill?

Also, what's yalls favorite tbone temp and level. I was gonna try raised direct at around 550-600. It's man night so rare to med rare. Ive done trex on rib eye and loved it.

Any input would be thanked.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

XLBGE 

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I would do just the rub- I like to go low level and hot maybe 600 for about 2 min per side then raise the grid and drop temp to around 400 to finish Pull at 125 and should raise a little more while resting Enjoy and good luck
    Greensboro, NC
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    +1 on low and hot to sear, then raised grid to finish.  Did strip steak and lamb chops that way last night.

newegg13 Posts: 231
    T-rex no doubt.

Personally, if I marinate a steak, I wouldn't use Dales.  It's a bit overpowering. Lawry's makes a good steak marinade, but again, it can take away from the flavor of the meat. 
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • 10Driver
    10Driver Posts: 88
    Dales is awesome with steak. But I agree it can get overpowering so I buy the low sodium version and only marinate from .5 to no more than 2 hours.
  • MrCookingNurse
    I'm do trex with rub. Thanks guys. Doing this tomorrow night. I'll post pics. Yea we always get the low sodium dales.

XLBGE 
  • MrCookingNurse
    Pics. Did red eye express and a tad of dizzy dust. Round about 600 degrees for 2 min a side just regular grate level. Measured about 128 on one 135 on the other. Had a buddy over from work and we killed these. Best steak I've ever had. Ended up about med to med rare. Steak heaven.

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    IMHO, long marinades can turn the surface texture mushy if there's vinegar or acidic ingredients.  Marinate for 15 minutes is fine.  Forget about trying to tenderize a good steak.  You try doing that and you'll get one of those weird steaks you find at a cheap steakhouse.  I think a rub is just perfect - add flavor and stay pure to the texture of the meat.
    nola egghead is spot on.  you can'treally  'tenderize' a meat by marinating, or even sprinkling it with meat tenderizer (i know this from experience, please don't ask why :)) ).  if there really are any acids or tenderizing enzymes, they will turn that first eight inch of meat into mush. 

for ex:... i had my heart set on some fantastic SOUNDING orange-juice marinated baby backs once. once being the operative word. after a couple nights in my super secret revolutionary marinade, i had grey par-cooked pork ceviche layer on my three slabs of ribs.  no one noticed it once cooked and heavily sauced, but i did. and it was not pretty.  what was interesting to me was how mushy the surface was, coupled with the blatantly apparent fact that no amount of tenderizing was taking place other than at the surface anyway

marinating is a catch all term.  if you have basically an oil with herbs and seasonings (like, italian dressing for example), five minutes is as good as five days.

if you are brining, and actually have some osmosis going on (salt is usually the key here), then yeah, you'll get some flavor INTO the meat. 

have you been happy buying beef by the side? do they give you control over the types and thicknesses of the cuts? (been flirting for too long with buying a side of beef, or a whole hog).

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • MrCookingNurse
    @stike

Yea I'm done with steaks the way I did it. These were the best I've ever had.

As for as the buying, in my opinion it's the ony way for us. My uncle has the cows, it's his oldest sons hobby showing cattle. The bulls that aren't needed are made into stears and then butchered. We don't really get into the cutting sizes persay, have always been very pleased. I'm sure you could but would prolly affect price. We only have to pay for the butchering and a whole cow is 700$ I think. We split it with my in laws and they are always more than generous.

But to have burger, roast and steaks just right there ready to lay out and eat is amazing. Sorry for the lack of details, we have a great deal set up with it so I haven't really looked into it more. Only complaint is id like the steaks a little thicker but I can't complain. It's the best beef I can buy.

XLBGE 
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    usually the cutter offers a cut sheet to determine if you want steaks vs. roasts, offal, etc.

i have heard nightmares even with cut sheets though, which is why i have shied away.  asking for thick steaks, and the steaks come thru 1/2" thick.  ouch.  or getting a few roasts, and 50 pounds of burger.

i think i would ask for subprimals, and grind or steak-up anything myself.  just out of paranoia.

glad it works out.  sounds like you have a great connection o the beef.  jealous!
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante