Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

skin on legs and thighs on a mini

Options
SkinnyV
SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
loaded up the mini to a full house, with the woo direct method to start. after a while the fire got carried away with grease so i threw the stone on indirect at 400 degrees. fire stll raged off and on due to hangover on the sides but in the end it worked out. very tasty and good chicken.
is the proper way indirect? is foil or pan needed to cover drippings versus letting stone burn it off? i could have sworn ive seen plenty of pics where the stone is left uncovered and drippings flow onto it and burn off.
thanks.
Seattle, WA

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Be nice to catch that grease.  Grease is fine to burn in moderation, but when it starts consuming all the oxygen, you get too much heat and nasty smoke.  Starve a fire from oxygen and bad things happen chemically.  Maybe cook half the chicken at a time or put some foil down to keep the grease and fat from burning.  Indirect is more of baking, direct more like grilling, 6 of one, half dozen of the other.  You want to keep the temp from getting too high so you don't burn, and the way to do that with that much chicken and not cause a grease smoke situation is catch the grease.
    Options
    thanks i grilled first 20 mins then threw on the stone. i then had to pull somne chicken as it was just too much for the mini to handle. in the end it tast great but just needed to know in the future how to handle it. i rarely do skin on chicken, 80% breast skinless but the changeup was a good addition.
    Seattle, WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Mini direct 400 with the Woo adding BoneSucking Sauce last 10 min Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    On the above cook only loaded lump to fire box ( not sure if you are loading to top of fire ring).
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.