Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
As we round out National BBQ Month, we hope you’ve gotten to try some new recipes that will keep you cooking all summer long. Check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Pecan Smoke Chips/Chunks

markprewittmarkprewitt Posts: 20
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just an FYI, Pecan smoke chips add an unbelievable flavor to your BGE grilled food. We did some chicken breasts, zucchini, baby bella mushrooms and silver king corn (husks on of course). We added pecan wood chips on at the beginning with the corn and chicken and let it marinate in the goodness. What a flavor!!
·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Also gives a very rich brown color to the chicken skin. I love pecan with poultry.
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    I've been checking all the local sources for pecan and can't find it anywhere! I hear great things about it, though so I'm keeping up the search.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • BuckdodgerBuckdodger Posts: 899
    I've been checking all the local sources for pecan and can't find it anywhere! I hear great things about it, though so I'm keeping up the search.
    Have you checked Wally World ?? If my memory serves me right my son got me a bag of pecan and hickory chunks from there. I tried pecan on a low and slow butt cook and it turned out with a kind of sweet flavor...really good.

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • Outlaw77Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    Academy sports + outdoors has pecan most of the time in my area.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,276
    On birds (chicken/turkey) I like to mix chips (but very small amount) of pecan & cherry.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • JWBurnsJWBurns Posts: 334
    Interesting! I should try some.

I just discovered Hickory and the greatness it is with steak and veggies.
    ·
  • ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
    ·
    edited July 2012
    Have you checked Wally World ?? If my memory serves me right my son got me a bag of pecan and hickory chunks from there. I tried pecan on a low and slow butt cook and it turned out with a kind of sweet flavor...really good.
    Yep. Tried Wally, Home Depot, Lowe's, Costco, Bass Pro, and several BBQ (really grilling - actually, really gas grilling) specialty stores. Seems like they all have everything BUT pecan. Just my luck. :D
    XL BGE
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,803

@chuff - interesting. I have no problem finding them at my Home Depot or Lowe's Must be a regional thing.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
    I would swear that I've seen it at Home Depot before, but I sure can't find it there now.
    XL BGE
    ·
  • MO_EgginMO_Eggin Posts: 128
    Check out your local Ace Hardware for Pecan - closest one to me carries both chunks and chips.  
    LBGE, St. Louis, MO
    ·
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 902
    If they have a W display, check the Fire Spice bags of wood.  I picked up a bag of Pecan from a local True Value,  I liked that it was in a zip lock bag also.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,055
    I've been using pecan a lot lately.  It's subtle whereas a heavy mesquite smoke will slap you in da face yowza!

·
  • DougQDougQ Posts: 30
    Had the same problem finding pecan locally. Fortunately, Amazon has it.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,055
    Pecan trees only grow in a relatively small part of the country, so probably not that well know where they're not indigenous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Carya_illinoinensis_map.png

·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    Pecan is very nice on chicken and turkey.

This guy sells pecan, and other wood too.

http://joesbbqwood.com/index.html
    ·
  • solowingersolowinger Posts: 11
    Chuff, not sure where you live but check with your local tree service's. I got 2 good sized pecan limbs( 3-4" round by 8' long) and made my own chunks. Here in Jawja we are covered up with pecan tree's so it was very easy to find.
    ·
  • jleon401jleon401 Posts: 33
    I have always wanted to try Pecan wood...will have to get some for my next cook.  Haven't been able to use my egg in a few weeks because I am in the process of moving
    :(
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
    ·