Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Slashed Chicken Quarters

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Borrowed Weber's Way to Grill from my brother the other week. I gave it to him almost a year ago and I don't think he's even looked at it, so I figured I'd see if I could get some inspiration. I was intrigued by this method of cutting into chicken quarters to allow the marinade to penetrate deeper and to allow the chicken to cook quicker, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Something I don't think I've ever seen before

Used Stubb's chicken marinade on them

Then onto the Egg at 375 direct with a raised grate, applewood for smoke

They took about 45 mintues

I think the slashes sped up the chicken maybe by about 15 minutes. Not a whole lot, but I was impressed by how much they helped the flavor spread through the chicken. It makes sense, more surface area equals more flavor, if you don't mind that it looks like Wolverine or Freddy got ahold of your chicken before you grilled it. Wasn't very impressed with the Stubb's marinade. It was OK. Added a bit of sweetness to the chicken, but I don't think I really tasted any citrus like it claimed. I'd probably do the slashes again, but use a different marinade.

Slashed Chicken Quarters

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I like the idea of the slash. Never thought but use it on grilling whole fish. Thanks for the post. Bet some Bone Sucking Sauce the last 10 mins instead of the marinade would have worked.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options
    You are right, come to think of it. I have done that on fish before, too. We don't usually sauce our chicken and I've never tried Bone Sucking sauce, but I will next time, Thanks Mickey.

Rowlett, Texas

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Looks good Griffin!  I always enjoy your presentation and pics.  Nice work as usual!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Outlaw77
    Outlaw77 Posts: 71
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Griffin I'm interested in how moist these turned out? This is my favorite chicken to cook. I cook leg 1/4's seasoned with salt and pepper at 375-400 for about 45 mins without the slashes they are great. For me, it's a crap shoot on bite through skin though. But would like to try this with some hot and spicy marinade.
  • Griffin
    Options

@cazzy - Thanks, I appreciate that.

@Outlaw77 - They were very moist, but I think moist is more a matter of how you cook it. Over cook anything and it will be dry as a bone. Just gotta pull them at the right temperature.

Rowlett, Texas

• joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    @Griffin - I did a spatchcock chicken last weekend with the Stubbs and I agree...didn't really have the flavor that I was expecting.  I have had better results mixing up my own brine with various citrus juices and garlic.