Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any crafty folks out there?

Options
MemphisBBQ
MemphisBBQ Posts: 92
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I had a couple of ideas today about an adjustable rig and a swing rack, they look pretty good on paper... 

I have seen a homemade adjustable rig on this site, but do not recall a homemade swing rack. Have any one of you done this?

I am sure this is not a new subject, so I apologize in advance.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Take a picture of your plans and post them here so we can check it out.
    Options

Tell ya what. Let me clean them up tomorrow, then I will post them. No need in you fine folks trying to decipher plans that look like a toddler drew them up.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Sounds like a plan.  I have all the basic welding/metal fabrication tools.
    Options
    Sounds like fun! Looking forward to this thread.
  • Hillbilly-Hightech
    Hillbilly-Hightech Posts: 966
    edited July 2012
    Options
    heh - I was actually having a conversation w/ Brownie awhile back about an idea that I had regarding the same thing (adjustable rig & swing rack).   

Depends on what you wanna do w/ it.  If you want it to be "open source" where anyone can build their own & you just wanna provide the info & allow them to do it just cuz you want folks to have something better - then ya, post it.  

but if you're thinking of selling this, then I wouldn't post it till you've gotten a patent or have already sold a few.  Once the idea is out in the public, protecting it becomes very difficult.  Don't ask me how I know this :((
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless — like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup... Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    Options
    We have been using swing racks over our BBQ pits for years. I plan on building one for my Egg once I get caught up on things (working on outdoor kitchen now). I dont like the ones for sale that are flat plate and lazercut. I prefer round grates. Plan is to build one out of 1/4 low carbon round bar. Heat, bend, weld. Then weld in a pipe and smaller grate on top. The top one will be 1/8" or so round bar for weight reduction. Also, the ones for sale commercially are really expensive (I am cheap and like making things myself). I have to justify the new tig welder I bought somehow (LOL).

Low cabon steel is the easiest metal to weld. No brainer for do it yourself project.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    heh - I was actually having a conversation w/ Brownie awhile back about an idea that I had regarding the same thing (adjustable rig & swing rack).   

Depends on what you wanna do w/ it.  If you want it to be "open source" where anyone can build their own & you just wanna provide the info & allow them to do it just cuz you want folks to have something better - then ya, post it.  

but if you're thinking of selling this, then I wouldn't post it till you've gotten a patent or have already sold a few.  Once the idea is out in the public, protecting it becomes very difficult.  Don't ask me how I know this :((
    By all means, if this is something that is patentable, think twice about posting it.  Thing is, you would be documenting it was your idea which would help you in a tie-breaker if someone "co-developed it" and you both used it in new products at the same time.  If you don't care about that, I need one of those and was thinking about welding something together, and I'd be happy to consider any ideas.
    Options
    Good morning! After I get finished with the cases I need to do at work, I will get together with my fellow Egghead and we will redraw the plans then post. 

It seems to be a simple bolt on application, currently. Will surely need feedback. 

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    There's been some good looking bolt things on here

XLBGE 
  • MemphisBBQ
    MemphisBBQ Posts: 92
    Options
    Okay, here is the "drawing". Any suggestions? 
    Basically it is a pipe with a long bolt inside it...
    JB weld to hold the parts that need to be held.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    My only improvement would be to mount the pivot to some solid plate cut in the shape of a small arc just to distribute the load to a couple more of the round bar pieces of grate.  I have a plasma cutter so that isn't too hard to do...

Options
    Although this isn't home made, its pretty much exactly what your looking for, isn't it?

http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

You can purchase the shaft kits separately if you wanted to use those to connect the two grates.

-Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Although this isn't home made, its pretty much exactly what your looking for, isn't it?

http://ceramicgrillworks.com/products-page/product-category/large-2-tier-adjustable-swing-rack-system/

You can purchase the shaft kits separately if you wanted to use those to connect the two grates.

I'm sure those are nice and I've heard a lot of good things about them, but to me they're griddles with slots.  I find round bar gives me more exposure to direct cooking, combustion gases, etc.  Purely a personal choice.  I think the grill marks on a round grate look more appetizing.  Again, just personal preference.  That's why we don't all drive black cars.
    Options
    Not if Henry Ford had his way.
    Mama always said, Grilling was like a box of chocolates.  You never know what you're gonna get.
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Options
    nolaeggheadMemphisBBQ so he could compare his available options.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    nolaeggheadMemphisBBQ so he could compare his available options.
    datz cool, just like to make my own stuff too
    Options
    the Ceramic Grill deal is nice and all, but I am thinking I can make something pretty similar for a fraction of the cost.

It sounds like NoLa has the right tools to make this job pretty simple. I, however, will look like a cave man while completing this mission.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I have couple plasma cutters, Miller MIG welder, stick and TIG, metal miter saw, some grinders, drill press, etc.  All the basic stuff.  Haven't done a metal project in a while, it'll be fun.  I'm mostly into fine woodworking. 

Options
    I have thought about making a rig to use too!
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.