Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New EggHead

HoosiermommaHoosiermomma Posts: 19
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hi, I just got approved for the forum. Can't wait to get started. Did my first low and slow w/ @LizzieSamps. It turned out great! Tonight tri tip!

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 18,691
    Sounds like you are off and running. Call on us if we can help and please post pictures as most of us can't read.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 5,001
    Mickey said:

Sounds like you are off and running. Call on us if we can help and please post pictures as most of us can't read.

That's why I eat at waffle house. They have great picture menus.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Scott805Scott805 Posts: 276
    Welcome!

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent table!

Dallas, TX

• Here are our butts.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Outstanding, and welcome, your going to have fun.
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 9,058
    Welcome!! Sounds like you're starting out perfectly.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Welcome to the insanity! We are about to start Smokin lots of meat!!! Get ready!!
  • Tri tip on! Bought myself the gift if a Maverick wireless thermometer today. Thanks @LizzieSamps for the suggestion =D> It's working great!
  • Who just reached in and grabbed a temp probe with her bare hand? That's right! This genius! Ouchie!!! :((
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    At least you didn't throw your phone in the fire... Welcome
    Lynnwood WA
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Who just reached in and grabbed a temp probe with her bare hand? That's right! This genius! Ouchie!!! :((
    You don't really think you are the first to do that are you?  Welcome to the ranks of the burned and eye brow singed cult!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 16,494
    Your bestest buddy Lizzie has blazed quite a trail in a short time.  She has really jumped in-fearless and acquired a good bit of knowledge.  There may be segments of her journey that you would do well to avoid but in the main...If she doesn't know the answer, ask away here-someone will come up with an expalnation or suggestion.  Now whether it's worth much, that's a whole 'nother topic.  Welcome to the cult and the journey-go easy on the Kool-Aid :)
    Louisville;  L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • BrownieBrownie Posts: 1,023
    Welcome aboard! I like your username, it's quite funny!
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Welcome aboard. @LizzieSamps said in an earlier post that you were having trouble keeping your egg below 300. You might want to calibrate the thermometer. I'd bet money that it needs adjusting. You should be able to maintain 225-250 without a problem. If you have questions, just ask. Mickey will give you a serious answer, Travis will make a joke then give you an answer, and stike will tell us we are all wrong. LOL only kidding. All of these guys have great input.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Tri tip ready to pull pre-searPhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Sliced and ready to enjoy! SOooo juicy!! :D Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Who just reached in and grabbed a temp probe with her bare hand? That's right! This genius! Ouchie!!! :((
    Oh girl, lessened learned!
    At least you didn't throw your phone in the fire... Welcome

. Thanks @douboe I feel the love!
    Looks so juicy! I feel like a proud mamma! :D
  • HoosiermommaHoosiermomma Posts: 19
    edited July 2012
    @cortguitarman, I actually also purchased a new dome temp probe today. I'm certain between that and the Maverick future cooks will go much more smoothly. (and hopefully I won't wake after only 4 hrs sleep to find a 150 degree egg) Thanks all for the welcome! So far, so good!
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    I would still check the calibration of the new one just to be sure
    Lynnwood WA
  • mcmacmcmac Posts: 493
    Is that a cast iron grate already! Wow.... You're off to a great start. The tri_-trip looks awesome. Doesn't look like you're a rookie. Enjoy the fun.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • chuffchuff Posts: 255
    I did that tonight too. I thought I could get the probe out of meat quick before I burned myself - sort of like pushing an oven rack back in quick before it burns you. I was wrong.
    XL BGE
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 17,461
    edited July 2012
    welcome. And any friend of lizzy is a friend of ours :)
    1- LGBE
    1- KBQ C-60 (The Dishwasher)
    I- Blackstone 36" Griddle
    1- Sweet-A$$ Roccbox Pizza Oven
    1-Very Understanding and Forgiving Wife
  • A2ZA2Z Posts: 99
    Welcome to the forum.  There is a lot to be learned here, especially that there is more than one way to do many things.  Enjoy your egg and practice temp control. After that it all comes together.