Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20+lb fresh ham help

Options
Smity
Smity Posts: 57
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Im setting up to smoke a 20 lb fresh ham but I'm not sure how long the cook is going to take. Planning on injecting with maple syrup and a rub. I've read so many different times from 20 to 60+ min a lb that I have no idea when to start. I'm hoping one of you can help me out! Thanks for any input.

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I think Mickey did one of these a while back. Maybe he can help.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    By fresh ham, I'm assuming its just an uncured rear pork leg. Its just a big roast. I have not done that big. I think what I cooked was about 12 pounds, and I got it done by 1 p.m. on Christmas day, with a dome of 350. I'm pretty sure I didn't start it till 7 a.m. altho it was sitting on the counter, coming to room temperature around 5 a.m. Took it off w. an internal temp of 150.

For something the size of a 20 pounder, it might take long enough for the interior to heat up that the exterior might dry out. Consider basting after 5 hours.
  • Smity
    Options
    I did the cook over night at 210 with a pan of cran-apple juice. It was on for a total of 10 hrs and is in the cooler right now. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will. Oh and I let you know how it tastes later. Thanks for the input!
  • Smity
    Options
    I can honestly say it looked good but I was not impressed at all with the flavor. Had not even a hint of the maple syrup or hickory. Need to try something different next ham.
  • Richtermedic
    Options
    I am cooking a ham for the first time this weekend. It's a 22 pounder. Fresh Ham not been cooked or cured yet. I too am wondering about how long this should take and about what temp to set the egg at. I'm thinking a lot of hickory chunks in the egg and doing it low and slow. Any suggestions on how to make this successful would be well appreciated.
  • Smity
    Options
    I did mine at 210 and it took just over 10 hrs. The meat was cooked and juicy I just wasn't happy with the flavor. I think my next one I will brine first. Hope it turns out well for you!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Try a curing brine with Prague #1 salt (sodium nitrite).  Lots of literature on how to do the brine.  Must start well in advance of serving time, but a much different taste/texture.  Like, well, ham.