Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

20+lb fresh ham help

SmitySmity Posts: 57
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Im setting up to smoke a 20 lb fresh ham but I'm not sure how long the cook is going to take. Planning on injecting with maple syrup and a rub. I've read so many different times from 20 to 60+ min a lb that I have no idea when to start. I'm hoping one of you can help me out! Thanks for any input.
·

Comments

• FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,845
    Sub'd
    Boom
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,581
    I think Mickey did one of these a while back. Maybe he can help.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • gdenbygdenby Posts: 4,522
    By fresh ham, I'm assuming its just an uncured rear pork leg. Its just a big roast. I have not done that big. I think what I cooked was about 12 pounds, and I got it done by 1 p.m. on Christmas day, with a dome of 350. I'm pretty sure I didn't start it till 7 a.m. altho it was sitting on the counter, coming to room temperature around 5 a.m. Took it off w. an internal temp of 150.

For something the size of a 20 pounder, it might take long enough for the interior to heat up that the exterior might dry out. Consider basting after 5 hours.
    ·
  • SmitySmity Posts: 57
    I did the cook over night at 210 with a pan of cran-apple juice. It was on for a total of 10 hrs and is in the cooler right now. If I can figure out how to post pictures I will. Oh and I let you know how it tastes later. Thanks for the input!
    ·
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    ·
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    ·
    I can honestly say it looked good but I was not impressed at all with the flavor. Had not even a hint of the maple syrup or hickory. Need to try something different next ham.
    ·
  • I am cooking a ham for the first time this weekend. It's a 22 pounder. Fresh Ham not been cooked or cured yet. I too am wondering about how long this should take and about what temp to set the egg at. I'm thinking a lot of hickory chunks in the egg and doing it low and slow. Any suggestions on how to make this successful would be well appreciated.
    ·
    I did mine at 210 and it took just over 10 hrs. The meat was cooked and juicy I just wasn't happy with the flavor. I think my next one I will brine first. Hope it turns out well for you!
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,277
    Try a curing brine with Prague #1 salt (sodium nitrite).  Lots of literature on how to do the brine.  Must start well in advance of serving time, but a much different taste/texture.  Like, well, ham.

·