Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Big Green Egg MSRP

Options
bettysnephew
bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Is there any place that the Mothership publishes the current Suggested Retail Prices for the things they sell?  I understand not putting them in their catalogs, as prices can change several times in the course of a year, and I know they do not do Internet sales, but it would be nice if potential buyers had a general idea what they might expect to pay when they go out looking.  Some dealers might not particularly like this, as I know a few of them seem to add an extra markup (perhaps shipping expense?) because when I visit several stores, the prices are all over the place on the same items.  However if shipping is the reason, break it out as a non negotiable item, just like they do on automobiles.  I really don't think that the current suggested retail prices should be such a deep dark secret, as it almost appears that some dealers are price gouging their customers, which is bad for everyone involved.  The customer is smoked off when he discovers that he has been taken advantage of,  BGE looks bad because it looks like they possibly condone such acts and the dealer that did the gouging loses a customer who will be sure to tell all of his friends what a poor place to do business that is and possibly besmirch  BGE in the process.  Internet posting of said prices on their website could be updated in a moments notice to keep abreast of changes that occur as time passes.
A poor widows son.
See der Rabbits, Iowa

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Not that I know of, and prices vary regionally. For example an egg in ca costs more than a TX same size egg.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I got smoked by one of the bad dealers. Very disappointed. Good thing the egg is awesome or I'd be pissed.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Options
    I just called around to all of the dealers on the BGE website that were nearby.  Some had deals on packages from and egg and a nest .. and egg, nest, and eggcessories.. up to egg and table.  I went with who had the best deal for what i wanted.  
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Knowing what I know now, I'd only buy an eggfest egg. It's a no brainier.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Knowing what I know now, I'd only buy an eggfest egg. It's a no brainier.
    Is that a demo that was used at an eggfest or a new boxed egg at an eggfest highly discounted?
    Options
    The only eggfest deals I've seen are demos. They usually come with a free plate setter, nest, and bage of lump. Plus they have the same warranty as a new one and hopefully the dumb gasket will be burned off already.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    SHOP AROUND!!! There was a 200$ difference when I bought my large

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm thinking about a second egg...a medium or small...
    Options

Me too.
  • SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Options
    I've also noticed that some dealers don't even put prices on the items they sell.  Each time you inquire about an item, they have to look up the price in a book.  Is this the norm? 
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options

I've done thought about it but the wife shut it down.

XLBGE 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    shopper: "excuse me, how much is this egg?"
    salesman: "very reasonable sir, how much money are you looking to spend?"
    shopper: "I really didn't want to go over my budget of $1000..."
    salesman: "what an extraordinary coincidence!...."
    Options

shopper: "excuse me, how much is this egg?"
    salesman: "very reasonable sir, how much money are you looking to spend?"
    shopper: "I really didn't want to go over my budget of $1000..."
    salesman: "what an extraordinary coincidence!...."

I hope no one does that... But I know they do

XLBGE 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I live in Columbia, SC and I called all dealers here, Charlotte, NC and Atlanta, GA. All dealers quoted exact same price on a large egg and all offered the same price with a nest bundle Well all except the one 3 miles from my house. They wanted $150 more plus $50 bc they put it together and it was the only one they had in stock. They refused to honor price the other 8 places I called so I drove to next closest spot and bought there To give you an idea the package was $999 for large Egg, nest/shelves, ash tool, box of the BGE starter cubes or whatever, and a bag of lump and grate gripper.
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I think the idea is the local dealers all compete against each other.  Most of them will know what the others are selling for, and what "packages" they've put together.  Based on that, they're probably using grate grippers and other accessories to "sweeten the pot".
    Options
    My local dealer robs people. They wanted 800 for lbge only. And they do a gimmick that the price quoted is only good for 7 days that they going up next shipment cause of demand from the mother ship, new model, etc. they even called me and said sir we just wanted to let you know that we only have one egg left and the price is going up tomorrow. If you come in now we can do 800. And I said thanks but I bought one yesterday for 650 at another dealer. They hung up on me. Clasy right?

XLBGE 
  • travisstrick
    Options

My local dealer robs people. They wanted 800 for lbge only. And they do a gimmick that the price quoted is only good for 7 days that they going up next shipment cause of demand from the mother ship, new model, etc. they even called me and said sir we just wanted to let you know that we only have one egg left and the price is going up tomorrow. If you come in now we can do 800. And I said thanks but I bought one yesterday for 650 at another dealer. They hung up on me. Clasy right?

I would do up a post and name them. Then I'd email them the link.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options

Ha that's funny tho
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I wish BGE would enforce set prices - good prices.  I buy (way too much) tools made by a German company Festool.  They have set prices.  You have to sell it at that price if you're a retailer, otherwise they'll drop you as an authorized seller.  So basically the only shopping around is going to be based on geographic location, shipping and taxes.  Dealers trying to jack up the prices and gouge people just turns people off to the product, even though the manufacturer doesn't have anything to do with it.
    Options
    I think the mothers hip has Msrp, I'm going there Saturday what do you need?
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    My dealer included setup and delivery in the price so they have to mark them up enough to cover their expenses.  It took 3 guys to deliver my table and first XL and 2 guys to deliver and set up my second XL in a nest.  In addition, they gave me a free bag of lump and 10% off on all accessories including the digiq II, looft lighter, platesetter, extended grate, CI grates, extra bags of lump, etc. 

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• bettysnephew
    Options
    I agree that the Egg is an awesome product and is worth a decent price, but you have to get one first to learn that or have a pal like my buddy Larry that brought some of the fabulous food he cooked on his Egg to hook the rest of us.  I just think too many dealers think that the ones they have for sale are worth more than any other dealers, because we are the buying public and will not go across town to look to see if the other dealer has a better deal. When I bought mine, there was a dealer about 120 miles away that puts on a big sale at the Iowa State Fair and I just waited to go there during the festivities and saved myself a lot of money on a package he had going.  I actually like one of my local dealers and will try to do business with them when I can, but not when it is going to cost me over $100 extra to buy from them.  The good part is, they are quite reasonable on BBQ accessory parts and rubs etc. so I will try to keep them going that way. I guess if it were my business, I would sell the Eggs at as reasonable a profit as I could and then count on the repeat sales of addons, rubs and charcoal to reel them in once they were hooked.  Having one of these things is like being hooked on crack, you can try to quit the habit, but it ain't going to happen.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • bettysnephew
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I think the mothers hip has Msrp, I'm going there Saturday what do you need?
    I'm hooked! I've got the BGE Jones! I need every accessory they ever made or have made or will make for as long as I can lift a bag of lump!    LOL!!! This was just a general question to see if there was a list available to keep my local dealers honest.  They really aren't all that bad, but a while back, I bought something and felt it was excessively priced for what it was and had to vent.

A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

West Coast (northern & central) pricing for the large only for dealers from their wholesale suppliers is $539.99. MSRP as priced by the supplier for the dealer to use is $899. Understand that the dealer then has to deal with freight. If he is special ordering 1 from the supplier, then the freight on it will be more than if he ordered a pallet and proportion the total freight cost divided by all the units on the pallet. The wholesaler on the west coast pays more for the unit than an east coast wholesaler, again because of the freight factor. This accounts for different wholesale costs to dealers and the different retails across the country.

The wholesalers can't tell you what to sell it for, but they ask that you don't advertise it for less than 10% off, to keep other dealers in the area from complaining, when they are comparison shopped. However, in the store a dealer can negotiate any price he and the customer agree on. The down side to to good of a deal for the customer, is if he uses that quote to go to another dealer to try and get a better qoute and that dealer lets the wholesaler know what happened, then the negotiating dealer may find that some of his future orders may start shipping extremly slow and not complete.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    I bought mine from a dealer that guaranteed the best price. I bought it on the spot went down the road and found it for $283 cheaper. The original dealer kept their word even though I didn't have it in writing and refunded the difference that impressed me they do however charge a ridiculous amount for lump. This is in WA state
    Lynnwood WA
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    Pricewise I got screwed in Ca.  By now I don't care.  The BGE is that good.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    I wish BGE would enforce set prices - good prices.  I buy (way too much) tools made by a German company Festool.  They have set prices.  You have to sell it at that price if you're a retailer, otherwise they'll drop you as an authorized seller.  So basically the only shopping around is going to be based on geographic location, shipping and taxes.  Dealers trying to jack up the prices and gouge people just turns people off to the product, even though the manufacturer doesn't have anything to do with it.
    I'm personally glad that they don't. I agree that it would be nice if the prices were standardized and uniform, but almost no one is paying MSRP. We'd all have more money invested in our eggs if BGE mandated selling at MSRP, which I believe is $1,199 for an XL and $999 for a L. 
    XL BGE
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    Got my large new in Northern Illinois last Spring (2010) and paid $900 for egg, platesetter, bag of lump, box of starter cubes, ash tool and grill grabber, delivery and setup! Also bought small table with assembly and delivery for $400! Best $1300 I've ever spent! Now same store wants $899 for large egg, platesetter and bag of lump! No nest, shelves, at anything! That's inflation for you!
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    2011 I meant! LOL!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

Pricewise I got screwed in Ca.  By now I don't care.  The BGE is that good.

Bbq galore told me wrong price and honored it. Otherwise, I was screwed.