Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

More 1st Time Brisket Questions (sorry)

Options
alynd
alynd Posts: 130
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing a 10.8lb brisket and I want it ready to eat around 4pm on Saturday.  I also want to do burnt ends with the point, so I'm planning on FTC'ing the flat for a few hours while the burnt ends finish up.  Here are a few questions:

Would starting the cook at 250 around midnight be a pretty good time to start, or do I need to start earlier than that?  
How long can a brisket stay in the cooler before the temp drops too much that the meat dries out?
I plan on injecting the meat with some beef broth.  Should I do this several hours before starting the cook, or right before putting the meat on?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    5 hours in the cooler and a 10 lb'er takes me about 8-10 hrs.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you are talking about 250 dome temp, I think that is too low. I cook at 250 grid temp which is between 275-300 on your dome thermo. At that temp it's almost always 1 hr per lb. at 225 dome it will be closer to 2 hrs per lb. no need for that much extra time but suit yourself if that's the way you want to do it. Your brisket will hold many hours (4-6 easily) while doing your burnt ends.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker, thanks for this time/temp guide line. This also answers a question I have had in the back of my head. I finally found whole packer brisket in my area and hope to do one next month when I have the time. The one I found was a 15 lb beast and I was thinking about he whole 2 hrs/lb thing and was thinking 30 hrs was a long long time. I will go with 250 grid and hopefully be done in the 15 hr range. That seems a lot more manageable.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker, thanks for this time/temp guide line. This also answers a question I have had in the back of my head. I finally found whole packer brisket in my area and hope to do one next month when I have the time. The one I found was a 15 lb beast and I was thinking about he whole 2 hrs/lb thing and was thinking 30 hrs was a long long time. I will go with 250 grid and hopefully be done in the 15 hr range. That seems a lot more manageable.
    Yep. maybe even faster. No need for 2hrs per lb

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX