Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pulled Pork and Brisket cook

Options
Retired RailRoader
Retired RailRoader Posts: 975
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are going to have my daughters graduation party next weekend (7/9). I am planning to cook pulled pork and a brisket. The brisket I am guessing goes on the grid above the inverted plated setter like a normal brisket cook. The pork butts I think then go above it on the grill extender. With this configuration does the top of a large egg close and if it does will it interfer with the dome thermometer Tel-Tru 5" stem? I am planning to do a 6-7 pound flat brisket (Dr. BBQ's shortcut brisket recipe) and 2 6-7 pound butts (bone in). About how long will these need to cook at a grate temp of 225 deg. and can you foil the brisket and place in a cooler to keep warm if it is finished before the butts are done? I figure these will be served around 3-4 PM. Any help would be greatly appreaciated.
Thanks,
John

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.

Comments

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Just did a similar cook, for the same great reason. My son graduated from HS and we had the party last weekend. I'm really glad it's over, believe me.[p]I cooked (3) 4 pound Boston Blades, and one 8 pounder. I put the 3 smaller ones on the grate (inverted platesetter, drip pan w/liquid)and then I put the 8 pounder across the top. I maintained 225° for the bulk of the cook, and mine took 23 hours.... which is normal for one of my overnighters. I don't normally bump the temp in the end, I just let it finish all the way at 225°. All 4 were done at the same time, even though they were different sizes. I didn't open the BGE until the last couple of hours, and then only to mop it a few times. The meat was done "on schedule" about an hour before the guests started arriving.[p]We also served gyros (catered in) and hickory smoked turkey from the deli for the fuddy duddies. Throw in the rest of the goodies, and we had a great time. The pulled pork was the hit. [p]The last time we did this, the gyros went over like mad. This time I had enough gyros left over to feed 50 people. (leftovers were frozen for a party a week after the 4th) They cleaned up the pulled pork. No one left hungry, but the leftover pork wouldn't make a decent meal for the graduate.[p]Here's a suggestion if you're serving beer... go with a selection of bottled/canned beers to monitor the underage kids that are thinking about drinking. It's tougher for a kid to walk off or walk around with a bottle or a can than a glass of tap. I also put the pop on one side of the party, and the coolers of beer on the other, and a warning sign to underage drinkers... "Don't even think about it, you've been warned!" We didn't have any problems with the kids drinking. The only ones that overdid it were myself and 2 of the neighbors that live across the street... and we all walked home long after the party was over.[p]Mike in MN

[ul][li]4 Boston Blades[/ul]
  • Bobby-Q
    Bobby-Q Posts: 1,994
    Options
    Retired RailRoader,
    Do yourslef a favor and remove your dome thermometer until after the food is loaded and the lid closed. Those tel-trus will bend and almost break. Do not ask me how I know this.[p]LOL

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    2005010904.jpg
    <p />Retired RailRoader,
    i did these for a big fathers day gathering. 2 briskets at about 7 pounds each and 2 butts at about 8 pounds each. pizza stone over fire brick splits on main grid with drip pan and grates on top. the butts were just touching the dome.flats had fat side down, butts had fat side up. cooked at 225 for most of the cook. with all the meat blocking the air flow temp maintaence was tough but manageable. i dont use a guru, the bottom vent was wide open and the top daisy side was half open to maitain the temps. the meat went on at 10 PM and the briskets were done at 11 AM, butts at about 11:30 AM. wrapped in the cooler until 4 in the afternoon. i made a broth sauce from some beef broth, drippings from the brisket and some bbq sauce to pour over the cut slices of brisket so that they would not dry out in the tin

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    fishlessman,
    Very impressive set up. When you say pizza stone over fire bricks on main grid does that mean you had a total of 4 grids???? It's early this morning (5:30) so I'm a little slow. LOL[p]Thanks,
    New Bob

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,747
    Options
    New Bob,
    yes, the three showing all stacked on a paella pan to be moved to the egg from the kitchen, and the one in the egg supporting the bricks and stone.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Retired RailRoader
    Options
    To All,
    Thanks for all the help and suggestions. Fishlessman and Mike that was a whole lot of meat that you boys cooked. I hope I have the same success that you had.

Everyday is Saturday and tomorrow is always Sunday.