Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey you. Yes, you lurkers who are not posting.

Comments

• Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    Another "lurker" here.  Posted a question 11 hours ago, never did get a reply.  Tell me again how we should all participate. 
    Found the answer on a post from michigan jason.  Looking at the number of replies on that post, maybe it matters who asks on here. 
    How close were the original post made? I notice that if something is currently being discussed, or has had a big discussion recently that a duplicate or similar post will not get a big response.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    edited July 2012
    Well, a2z, i answered your question 45 minutes before you complained about nobody answering your question

Relax man. No one is actively trying to shun you.

But it sure feels
    Like you are actively trying to feel shunned

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2012
    @A2Z you might want to step back just a second. Travis is one of the very best guys around. He will help anyone no matter what. Please pass this as something in the planets just not linking up. Welcome to the forum friend. Can you say what your post was that no one answered?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    The trex chops. People answered. Just apparently not fast enough
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

I apologize for becoming defensive toward Travis. However when someone comes at me and says I am pissing and moaning, crying poor me I will speak up.

I made my original post about 6:30 am mountain time.  When I made the comment about it not being answered it was 11 hours later. The question was simple, but I did not know the answer. I had searched the forum and did not find anything that fit the bill. I asked if you could cut chops off a pork loin and Trex them like a steak.

I joined this forum in order to learn how better to use my egg and improve my cooking.

@Mickey, I agree I do not think the planets lined up well with Travis and I. I apologize for acccusing that my post was not answered because of who posted it.

I also believe that Travis response was innapropriate. I do not know him, only what I read here.

This is a case of a lurker, who reached out for advice ands will seriously reconsider before doing it again. The whole Lurker subject is crap in my opinion.  If someone has something meaningful to post, great.  If not there is nothing wrong with trying to learn.

The whole forum should realize, there are people who need simple questions answered.  Not everyone is making culinary masterpieces. 

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2012
    @A2Z let's move on bro. Continue posting...even if it's simple. Threads are moving towards the bottom at a much more rapid pace...partly due to this thread motivating more eggers to post.

Please feel free to "bump" your thread if it's not answered in a reasonable time. During peak times, most threads are answered almost immediately.

Happy egging!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

Some threads just get more traction than others.  If someone does not think they are being answered, just do a search for your subject.  I believe you will probably find what you are looking for in a previous thread. 

Can't we all just get along............

Have a good day everybody!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Nothing to add, just looking :D
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    So there's like 100 of us who post regularly and about 3 grand lurking. Lol. I post to drive my post count up so my comments have more weight........ :ar!

XLBGE 
  • stike
    the other site has (or had) a counter for "members on line" and "guests (i.e. 'lurkers')".  it was routinely like "200 members online, 4000 guests" hahaha  and if there was a blow-up, maybe 6000 views for whatever post it was that was causing the fuss.

lots of folks hang back.

i can tell you with no exaggeration, as much posting as i do, if the old forum had had a counter like that when i first signed up (showing me how many people were REALLY watching), i never would have had the guts to post.  all i ever saw was the same two dozen people posting cooks and answering questions.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I remember when I first signed up I couldn't figure out what exactly a spatchcock was. I was too terrified to ask because it seemed I was the only one who didn't get it and I didn't want to seem stupid.

I now know that everyone is super helpful and most seem to take pleasure in helping the newest and inexperienced members. I've also had the pleasure of meeting many of our members in person. Everyone has been a class act. Of the 6 or 8 forums I've joined over the years, this is the only one I have more than 10 posts. I attribute that to the helpfulness and altruistic nature of our members.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I was intimidated at first, but welcomed instantly, and helped even faster. Now I try to help everyone as much as my eggsperience will allow. It is just what we do here, sometimes (most of the time) responses will come within minutes, others not so fast. Regardless everyone here is alike, we all share a common interest and are here to help each other.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

I just keep opening and re-opening this thread all day to drive up the number of times its been looked at. Not really. ;)

Sorry A2Z that you didn't get an answer sooner. I see Trex and move on because I know I have nothing to contribute. I've never really cooked using that method and there are others way more knowledgeable about it than me.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

I just keep opening and re-opening this thread all day to drive up the number of times its been looked at. Not really. ;)

LMFAO, me too! 
    :D

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

noooooooooooooo!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

noooooooooooooo!
    Call me please: 254.289.1877
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

noooooooooooooo!
    Call me please: 254.289.1877

will do. In meetings most of the day
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    I remember when I first signed up I couldn't figure out what exactly a spatchcock was. I was too terrified to ask because it seemed I was the only one who didn't get it and I didn't want to seem stupid. I now know that everyone is super helpful and most seem to take pleasure in helping the newest and inexperienced members. I've also had the pleasure of meeting many of our members in person. Everyone has been a class act. Of the 6 or 8 forums I've joined over the years, this is the only one I have more than 10 posts. I attribute that to the helpfulness and altruistic nature of our members.

I will take that Spatchcock confusion and raise you a... what the heck is FTC?
  • WickedIsland
    Well, a2z, i answered your question 45 minutes before you complained about nobody answering your question Relax man. No one is actively trying to shun you. But it sure feels Like you are actively trying to feel shunned

Exactly why I am anti-social media and was hesitant to post. Cheese & Crackers... aren't we all just cooking up some good food and seeing what info we can dig up when it is available? I'm thinking most of us already have a job or other obligations and this forum should not in any way give anyone another "thing" that they neeeed to do.
  • cazzy

stike said:

Well, a2z, i answered your question 45 minutes before you complained about nobody answering your question

Relax man. No one is actively trying to shun you.

But it sure feels
    Like you are actively trying to feel shunned

Exactly why I am anti-social media and was hesitant to post. Cheese & Crackers... aren't we all just cooking up some good food and seeing what info we can dig up when it is available? I'm thinking most of us already have a job or other obligations and this forum should not in any way give anyone another "thing" that they neeeed to do.
    I think once you get engaged in the community, you'll enjoy sharing cooks and paying forward all the great knowledge you'll learn here. You don't "need" to post but you'd probably be surprised how much you'll end up helping folks. To each is own though...
  • WickedIsland
    Hey Cazzy, Thanks for the positive comments. It's all good on my end, I have really enjoined this forum (for the only 3 weeks I have had my egg). I was frustrated that someone would get all bent because they didn't get a reply on a post.
  • cazzy
    It happens, especially with peeps who may be new to forums. Sometimes a simple "bump" does the trick.

In addition, approach is key on a message board as we can't see if you're smiling while you're talking or rolling your eyes when you're being sarcastic.

Glad you're enjoying the board! ;)
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99

I do not mind being the public whipping post on the forum.  What i do mind is no one seems to understand why I made the comment.  I posted a question at 6:30 am and basically the same question was asked several hours later with a dozen replies.

That is the hard part to comprehend.  @ wicked island, you are frustrated about it, join the club.

@ cazzy I agree approach is a key on a forum.  Case in point was Stike earlier today with a comment on my post about trex loin. I had no idea if he was rubbing salt in the wound or making fun.

Enough kicking a dead horse. Bury it.

• double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Advance warning I am very sarcastic ...say things I shouldnt and am always up for a good laugh. Please don't take offense to anything i say or post as I am sure I will post some stupid stuff.
    Lynnwood WA
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Ok,  I can understand being upset when posts are not offered.  I have been welcomed with open arms by most contributing members.  I have "spoke" more with you people on some of these threads than my own husband at times!   :D   But I also has been sad when my discussion goes with out any comment.  Why dosen't anyone like me!  Hang in there, keep postings, searching, and egging!  
  • cazzy
    "You people", what do you mean "you people"?? :P
  • N_a_Daze
    N_a_Daze Posts: 3
    Do new peeps get any grace period before the lurker designation?

Probably not so guilty as charged.
  • cazzy
    Do new peeps get any grace period before the lurker designation?

Probably not so guilty as charged.
    Sure. It expires after your 1st cook! ;)
  • cazzy
    edited July 2012
    Double post.
  • calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Lurk more than post, mostly to keep from looking/being completely stupid ! Have found this to be a very helpful place, wish I would have listened to you and not the dealer on what size to buy....
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO