Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ran out of lump, used briquettes. Am I going to hell?

nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
In a span of 3 days I cooked Canadian bacon, NY strips, 6 pizzas and a pork butt (in that order).  Almost ran out of lump during the pork butt and added briquettes.  20 pound bag of Mesquite lump from Sam's Club ended up being 25% dust, so I was caught off guard in the middle of the night.

The butt came out delicious.  What was the reason briquettes shouldn't be used again?  And am I going to hell for this?

Comments

• ikolsteren
    ikolsteren Posts: 20
    You will have lots of ash to clean up is one. 
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Yes. J/k. They are just made with lots of crap, they burn just fine though.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2012
    Only if they were the self-starting ones :-t
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
  • nolaegghead
    I've never bought the self-starting briquettes (gasoline incense).  I still have some briquettes left over from my long-gone-gave-it-away-on-craigs-list crappy stamped steel grill.

But there are no fillers in briquettes that corrode or contaminate or some other nastiness the ceramic?
    ribnrun, despite many assertions that the things are filled with crap, i haven't ever found any evidence to support it.  people talk about 'chemicals', but that's just a bugaboo word.  what chemicals?  what 'crap' are we talking about?

if they are impregnated with the lighter fluid, then yeah.  not good.  but about the worst thing other than that might be that they add binders, otherwise the briquettes would fall apart.  cornstarch is a binder.  and since binders add mass but not fuel value, you get way more ash than you would with an equal weight of lump.  i can't see that any brand name briquettes are going to be made with ( seemingly always unnamed) 'crap'.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Used briquettes once...no harm no foul - as long as no chemical lighter fluids are used.  No comparison to lump - IMO, but its not going to harm the Egg.
  • nolaegghead
    I...I just felt so dirty after using that lump.  The shame was overwhelming.
    I mean briquettes

You're going straight to eternal judgment for even considering it!!!!

Just kidding  

=))

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• nolaegghead
    I'm probably going for a lot worse!
    There is simply no justification for this Blasphemy and there's a corner of Satan's workshop filling up quite nicely with unholy Kingsford traitors like yourself. lol
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    ribnrun, despite many assertions that the things are filled with crap, i haven't ever found any evidence to support it.  people talk about 'chemicals', but that's just a bugaboo word.  what chemicals?  what 'crap' are we talking about?

if they are impregnated with the lighter fluid, then yeah.  not good.  but about the worst thing other than that might be that they add binders, otherwise the briquettes would fall apart.  cornstarch is a binder.  and since binders add mass but not fuel value, you get way more ash than you would with an equal weight of lump.  i can't see that any brand name briquettes are going to be made with ( seemingly always unnamed) 'crap'.

Borax is one of the big ones that always seems to come up in the discussions. I'm not 100% sure why I'm supposed to be so upset about that, but that's the big one I always here. 

"BORAX! BUT IT HAS BORAX! IT'S FULL OF BORAX!"

"Uh, okay."
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    Satan's running the biggest BBQ pit in the universe...of course he ain't just cookin' pig butts....
    I've got a few bags of stubbs and K that I need to go through.  I'm thinking of adding a few briquettes mixed int with the lump.  70/30 lump to briqs.

Any reason not to? 
  • nolaegghead
    My pork but tasted great.  I needed to clean out the ash anyway after the low n slow.  So I don't see why not.
    It's that the ash could/might/may cause a problem DURING the cook.

That's the party line anyway
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • nolaegghead
    yeah, the bottom of the egg is like a funnel/bottleneck for air and ash.   I wouldn't stoke it during a cook lest the ashen briquettes collapse and choke off the air. 
    Have used briquettes for years in other pits.....absolutely no problems other than ash production. Briquettes don't burn as hot as lump either, but they do get plenty hot enough to sear over. They provide a nice, even burning fire. Light pretty easily with a chimney starter too. I can easily maintain a 250 degree fire in a UDS for over 16hrs on one load of briquettes.

Wicked Good has some new briquettes on the market now.

Plenty of people cooking and winning comps with briquettes.
  • nolaegghead
    So the consensus is: if the final product is good, briquettes are fine to use.  I don't clean out my ashes but on average of once every three cooks (depending on what I'm doing).  But I'd have to clean them more frequently with briquettes?
    You may be askig the wrong question.  The question probably should be "How many bags of lump should I have on hand at all times?"  I keep telling my wife that maintaining 300 pounds in the garage is one of the rules you have to follow to be a member of the forum.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    I'd love to keep 300 pounds of lump stocked, but I've have to jettison some of my shop tools to gain the space and that ain't happenin'.
    I'd love to keep 300 pounds of lump stocked, but I've have to jettison some of my shop tools to gain the space and that ain't happenin'.
    Time to add on to the garage.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• nolaegghead
    I already broke about 20 zoning regulations last time I added on to it. 
    only 300 oh well told my wife it was 500 
    You may be askig the wrong question.  The question probably should be "How many bags of lump should I have on hand at all times?"  I keep telling my wife that maintaining 300 pounds in the garage is one of the rules you have to follow to be a member of the forum.

Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    I've done a lotta things in my life that I'm not proud of.  Lawd have mercy, briquettes in the egg ain't one of them.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • nolaegghead
    Ya can't sing the blues until you've lived the blues....
    Actually the Sams choice briquet you mentioned contains two ingredients that account for high ash. Starch as a binder and lime as a cheap filler. Also if I am not mistaken  contains petroleum coke
  • nolaegghead
    Actually the Sams choice briquet you mentioned contains two ingredients that account for high ash. Starch as a binder and lime as a cheap filler. Also if I am not mistaken  contains petroleum coke
    I had Royal Oak briquettes.  I was using the Sam's lump, which I thought I had enough of, but turns out was 25% dust and tiny particles in the bottom - so I thought I had enough lump fuel.
    Royal Oak make the sam choice briquet