Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hello from a new Egger!

cep55
cep55 Posts: 20
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I saw a post encouraging the lurkers to post, so here I am! I've just finished staining/ painting the table (didn't have time to build my own, but that's a someday project), and it's all ready for the LGBE to be delivered tonight. (My apologies for the obnoxiously large pic; it seems to be showing up here much larger than its 400 x 299 size).

I have a wonderful local dealer who actually comes out to deliver and get you started, so I'll be up and running and trying my first spatchcock chicken for dinner.

I used to swear by the Weber kettle for grilling, then got lazy a few years ago and bought a Genesis. Convenient, but the purist in me was always left wanting. Finally decided to go with the egg to replace both the gasser and my Weber Smoky Mountain (a really good little smoker that has served me well, but I am really looking forward to smoking in the egg). I love all things food-related, and have a (neglected lately, but will be updating soon) humble food blog (www.sleeplessfoodie.com) where I hope to chronicle my egging adventures.

I want to thank you all for the wealth of information and cameraderie that this site is; I have found it tremendously useful and I look forward to being a part of the community and eventually (hopefully) contributing useful things as well!

Christina

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Nice finishing job on the table. Welcome to the club. I just got my egg 3 or 4 months ago to replace a gasser and a smoker and haven't looked back. You will love the egg.
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Table looks great....welcome aboard! You should have no trouble going from the WSM to an Egg.
  • yellowdogbbq
    yellowdogbbq Posts: 389
    Congrats on the new egg, your going to love it.  Nice finish job on the table.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Welcome to the cult. I'm sure once you get cooking and figure things out, your blog won't be neglected anymore. Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Welcome, glad you're here. Ask lots of questions and enjoy yourself.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    As Griffin says, welcome to the cult.  Go easy on the Kool-Aid.  Here's a great resource- http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I'm new here myself, but welcome aboard just the same.
    XL BGE
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Welcome to the forum!

Focus on safety first - you don't want to set your lovely table on fire.  Brick on the bottom shelf, then an air gap with the ceramic feet if you got them.  Keep the screen closed all the time. 
    Welcome! Wow!  The Thai fried chicken on your blog looks great
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Welcome and that is a nice looking table!  Have you started buying all the extras yet?  It seems like almost every time I log in, there is some new tool, gadget, or eggcesorie that I HAVE to have!!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• cep55
    cep55 Posts: 20

Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind comments!

The BGE arrived safely and is comfortably nested.image

First cook (Spatchcock Chicken!) went great; the Egg held a steady temp right around 370 and the chicken - thanks to the tip from this board about leaving it uncovered in the refrigerator - had wonderfully crispy skin and was very juicy and succulent.image

I can see how this becomes an obsession...

@dlk - yes, I have started buying extras... I am a bit of a gearhead when it comes to cooking tools! So far: adjustable rig, pizza stone, plate setter, HiQue fire grate.

• Newville
    Newville Posts: 84
    edited July 2012
    Table looks great....welcome aboard! You should have no trouble going from the WSM to an Egg.

Easier to go from WSM to BGE than the other way around :-t
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053

Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind comments!

The BGE arrived safely and is comfortably nested.image

First cook (Spatchcock Chicken!) went great; the Egg held a steady temp right around 370 and the chicken - thanks to the tip from this board about leaving it uncovered in the refrigerator - had wonderfully crispy skin and was very juicy and succulent.image

I can see how this becomes an obsession...

@dlk - yes, I have started buying extras... I am a bit of a gearhead when it comes to cooking tools! So far: adjustable rig, pizza stone, plate setter, HiQue fire grate.

I just watch what Michigan_jason gets and I go out and buy that.  He looks out for all the cool stuff!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• The table is LOVELY!  You did a great job!

1large BGE and 1 well used mini BGE living in coastal South and North Carolina!