Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

60mph microbursts don't like BGEs

Options
Hinpeck
Hinpeck Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in Off Topic

We had a 60 mph microburst swirl through our neighborhood last Friday that almost killed my large BGE.  It was partially my fault, because I took the brakes off the wheels to move it in the morning and never put them back on.  With no brakes and having the cover on (which acted like a big sail), it got swept in the wind, rolled about 8ft over uneven flagstone and fell off our patio (about a foot high from ground level). 

We were out of town and the person that was watching our house said that she couldn't tell if it was broken or not because it was too heavy for her to lift.  I was a wreck all weekend until we got back Sunday afternoon.  Unbelievably, only the fire ring and fire box were damaged (shattered)...the outer shell was still completely in tact...YES!!!  I went and bought a new fire box and ring and now I'm back in business. 

Sure won't forget to lock the brakes again...

Comments