Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you all had a big green St. Patrick’s Day! While you’re waiting for it to be Easter time, try some of the new recipes we’ve recently added to our website. One of our favorite dishes is the Easy Jambalaya with Beef, and our favorite sweet & savory treat is the Sweet Cream Crostini.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Has anyone tried this?

Smokin_GoodSmokin_Good Posts: 40
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm curious if anyone has tried this and what they thought about it.
http://www.porkpuller.com
How do you pull your pork? I currently use bear paws but I'm looking for a quicker method. Plus the tip of my bear paws have started to melt after pulling butts that I didn't have time for a long rest.
XL & Medium BGE Keller, TX
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,746
    I use two forks.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    call me (and travis) crazy.  i use two forks also.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    That is quite possibly the accessory I would want the least out pretty much every one I've seen... Two forks here too.
    ·
  • AleBrewerAleBrewer Posts: 555
    Two forks here as well. I use large, serving type forks.

Seems kinda silly to spend $70 to pull pork? But that's just my opinion......

·
  • michigan_jasonmichigan_jason Posts: 1,299
    edited July 2012
    Wow, you need faster than bear paws? I love mine, no need to spend more for me.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
    edited July 2012

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

·
    I suppose if you had many butts to pull, then some type of mechanical aid would help speed things up.
    ·
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    yeah. good point.  LR and celtic wolf used to do a shungload of butts for troop cooks, and two works wouldn't cut it.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
    ·
  • EggdamEggdam Posts: 214
    Meat rakes
    ·
  • misumisu Posts: 213
    I like the power tool idea but I also use forks
    ·
  • cortguitarmancortguitarman Posts: 2,016
    I like my bear paws.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
    I just watched the video, wouldn't that be easy to make with an old rotisserie piece from a gasser?

·
  • Thanks everyone. I will keep using my bear paws for now. My next big cook I might give it a shot. If I do I will let everyone know how it works.
    XL & Medium BGE Keller, TX
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,624
    do the paws yeild big pieces of pork or finer shredded pieces like a fork would. i use bare hands because i like bigger pieces of pulled pork, big enough for eating and dipping with your hands
    ·
    When I pull mine with forks....I don't shred it. I prefer bigger pieces too.....hardly ever eat PP on a roll. I can't speak for the paws though.
    ·
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 853
    A couple of guys from my home town used to roast whole hogs in a portable spit.  They used the three fingered garden scratchers with the hand grips on them to pull and separate the huge amounts of meat they had to deal with.  Worked really well, but they were dealing with big commercial sized trays full of meat.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • McStewMcStew Posts: 430
    thats one expensive drill bit 
    Marina Del Rey CA 
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,755
    I use my hands (with gloves on) or 2 forks if its too hot.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • doubledouble Posts: 1,214
    I have heard these are good http://meatrake.com/
    Lynnwood WA
    ·
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    Forks here too. Last time I used a fork in one hand and a knife in the other to cut bark and such. Used the knife in more of a scraping motion then a cutting motion as well. I have thought about those bear paws, they look neat.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,806
    I use two forks and a beer.  Take a big swig of beer, then, like Popeye on spinach, I pick up the forks and in about 60 seconds I'll have it done.

·
  • misumisu Posts: 213
    I use two forks and a beer.  Take a big swig of beer, then, like Popeye on spinach, I pick up the forks and in about 60 seconds I'll have it done.
    that's called beer paws :)
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,806
    apropos!

·