Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Beer Can Chickens

wolfie4wvu
wolfie4wvu Posts: 11
edited July 2012 in Poultry

I did my first beer can chickens this weekend. They turned out fabulous. I cooked them at 400 degrees for about 1 1/2. On let the chickens come up to room temperature and then slathered them with melted butter mixed with an Arizona Dreaming season purchased from Penzey's. I'm still learning how to regulate the temperature on my egg but I am getting better.

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited July 2012
    Nice looking birds, and Temp control does come with practice.
    For me, beer can is good, but I love spatchcock now. 
    I do use standing if I need more than 1 though.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447
    wow those look tasty...what kind of device do you have the birds sitting on????  each one has there own little drip pan??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• wolfie4wvu
    They are beer can chicken cookers I found at Lowe's (master forge or something like that). Yes they each had have their own drip pan which did a fine job but I was glad the other pans were there too.
  • pasoegg
    pasoegg Posts: 447

did you like the beer can over the spatchcook chicken??

"it is never too early to drink, but it may be too early to be seen drinking"

Winston-Salem, NC

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I get a kick out of that picture every time I look at it. Like theyare all hiding their faces in shame. Or they are all turning their backs ton you. Or maybe they are all in trouble and were told to go stand in the corner. They do look like they came out good.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I have done amazing spatchcocks, but will still say that the sittin chickens are great too!

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• wolfie4wvu

did you like the beer can over the spatchcook chicken??

I thought they were both very good and really don't have a preference. I think I could get about the same amount in the egg so I guess it just matters on what I feel like doing that day.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    I think they are both stellar, but spatch seems to be slightly better for me. I still like the way they look sittin' up there like that though

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    There is not much better than a simple bird on the egg. Yours look great.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.