Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Transporting an XL BGE

Options
cssmd27
cssmd27 Posts: 345
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I might be purchasing an XL BGE (have a large currently) and wanted to know what I would need to transport it and load it?  I have an Infiniti QX56 - would that be large enough or do I need to find a pick up?  I was thinking I would just take it apart for transportation.  Is it as easy as a large BGE?  (I can get the top off that one in about 3 min.)  Also, how heavy is the base alone?  Too much for one person to lift?

Thanks!
Dallas (University Park), Texas

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I can move the thing with the top off and guts out. I'm kinda a big guy though. Might be hard for the old or weak. (damn that sounds bad. its not meant that way.)
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cssmd27
    Options
    Thanks Travis. I'm not quite old or weak yet but headed that way. Some days are better than others. :) Sounds like I should be able to move it with some effort.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Vehicle definitely big enough but take the guts out and invite some friends over for the first burgers
    Greensboro, NC
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I left the lid on and the guts in and it fit in the back of the Pathfinder.  Got home, put it in the nest in my driveway and a buddy and I carried it in the nest to my back patio.

It should fit in your SUV fine, and you should be able to take it apart and move it yourself.  If you have somebody else with you then it'll be no problem at all.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• cssmd27
    Options
    I'll have to reference this for the future.  XL was sold before I could claim it.  Barely used XL with stand and wings for $500.  Arghhhhh!!!
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    You'll be fine. An XL will fit in a car if you take it apart.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I
    cssmd27 said:

I'll have to reference this for the future.  XL was sold before I could claim it.  Barely used XL with stand and wings for $500.  Arghhhhh!!!

I got a never used lg with nest for $425. Deal of a lifetime.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options

I

cssmd27 said:

I got a never used lg with nest for $425. Deal of a lifetime.
    Lucky SOB. Good to see you back on the forum, Travis. You must finally be getting caught up on sleep with the little one. Hope all is well with the new babe. BTW, as a father of twins I can tell you that it does get easier.
    Mark Annville, PA