Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Much needed advice on new swimming pool

MeAndTheDog
MeAndTheDog Posts: 73
edited July 2012 in Off Topic
We are having a new swimming pool installed over the next couple of weeks, super excited about it. What I am not so excited about is the regrets that I may occur after it has been installed. If any has any advice on lighting, fencing, concrete decking or just an all around website to check out I would be greatful. I really dont want to be 6 months down the road and say "I sure wish I woulda ..."
Conway, S.C.

Comments

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Wish I would have invited wolfpack over for a swim???? My only thought- make the hard scape big enough for lounge chairs and for people to walk around without worrying about falling in
    Greensboro, NC
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    That's a huge topic, open to a lot of personal preference. We have built a couple over the years. Couple of questions: what part of the country? In ground or above ground? Spa? What general size? Last we built is about 14k gallons. Did a dark pebbletec which gives a lagoon feel. One before that was over 20k gallons. You cannot have too much deck. Have had the washed aggregate deck, last time went with stamped concrete, same price and much nicer (appearance and on the feet). We are in Texas, so the water warms up. Key to cooler water is Depth and vertical water features. We have a 4 ft falls with a 5 ft drop, run it for 24 hours will lower the temp 6-8 degrees. Have had salt, went back to tabs. No savings or price difference. Make sure you have an overflow drain, not all builders do that. What I think of at the moment ... Oh yeah, plan for a watermelon rack.....
    Cookin in Texas
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2012
    My only advise after selling the house: don't buy a sailboat and a pool at the same time. All I got to do was clean one every other weekend. Don't have either one now, can I come over to your house to swim? Oh yes, be sure and build a swim-out so the dog can get out easy.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• This being the first pool for us, I have done some research but dont feel like it is enough. Im located in SC andthe measurements ar 14' x 33' x 6'  I have chosen to go with a fiberglass shell, all Hayward pumps, Sandfilter, Lights, and salt generator.

I saw where people have been putting umbrella sleeves into the concrete to have the ability to place an umbrella around different parts of the pool as the sun rises/sets. I just didnt know if anyone had some cool tips for other things to take into consideration.  Thanks

Conway, S.C.
  • @ Mickey he wouldnt let me do it anyother way!
    Conway, S.C.
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    My advice...skip the pool and buy more Big Green Eggs and more meat!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    One big item I just remembered. It sure sounded good at the time (I live in the middle of Texas). Don't build in the middle of a bunch of oak trees! You don't have enough people in your family to keep it clean.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    If you don't put in a spa you'll spend a lot of time wishing you had. Solar heating works like a dream here in Vegas.
    XL BGE
  • My advice...skip the pool and buy more Big Green Eggs and more meat!

With the addition of the pool comes the renovation of the what now is a shed, (soon to be pool house.) Then comes the whole Egg family.

:D
    Conway, S.C.
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Go with extra concrete deck as I did. You won't regret it. Additionally, I have an L shaped pool and added holes in concrete for volleyball net. We love ou pool and the egg makes pool nights incredible
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Here are some pics from around my pool. You can see how much the added concrete adds along with some tropical plants and I also added an industrial park table...

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• newegg13
    newegg13 Posts: 231
    Jesus @rubmyrock. Where's the Grotto?
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
  • BullysXL
    BullysXL Posts: 1
    There is a website called Trouble Free pool that has a lot of excellent info. It will save you a lot of money!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Make sure you make the deck as large as you can.  I am in south florida, and a screen room is also a big thing to consider.  It keeps the leaves and most of the bugs out, but on the other hand, it reduces the pool temp, so i ended up putting in a heater....(yes, a heater in South Florida!)  My wife likes it about 90*, and on the hottest days it will only get about 85-86 on its own.  As far as i am concerned, a salt generator is the only way to go.  Way, way less maintenance than other friends with out it. 

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• @rubmyrock that is an awesome setup

@BullysXL i just found that website, there seems to be alot of reading in my near future!

I believe that the general consensus is LARGE pool deck. Thanks to all for the input.

Conway, S.C.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    i found it was cheaper and easier to buy a house on the water.  mickey, my down east lobster boat gets washed down each spring if it needs it or not, i almost have all the spar varnish worn off that the origional owner gooped on, why would anyone varnish teak and create an on going headache of keeping it looking shiney.
    :))

if i had a pool i would want mostly deep water, ive seen too many accidents with people diving into shallow water
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • @fishlessman We live with the river in our backyard and love being on the boat. With that being said the addition of a little one coming in December, I don't see us out on the boat too much for the next couple of years. Hopefully we will get half of the enjoyment out of the pool as we do the boat
    Conway, S.C.