Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chris's Shrimp Scampi and Stuffed Crab

Options
Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Not quite the meal I had in mind when I headed to the store yesterday. I was planning on little neck clams with sweet corn and basil, but they were out of clams. My back up was going to be mussels, but they were out of mussels. The frustration was growing until I remembered Nibble Me This posted Fire Roasted Shrimp Scampi last week.

Got the Egg set up at 400F, place setter legs down and the grid on top. Threw on some stuffed crab that I had found

Let that go for about 10 minutes and then added the scampi

About another 10 mintues and dinner was served up

The shrimp scampi was the bomb and better yet it was simple and easy to cook. The crab....meh. Not so good. I'll be making this again (minus the crab), but next time I think I'll serve it over some capellini or some linguini. Great meal. Note - don't make this if you are new to dating somebody and plan on kissing them later. It has quite a bit of garlic.  

Fire Roasted Shrimp Scampi

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Ok I am in.... WHat time is dinner?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Options
    Ummm...last night around 7:30. It's all gone now, Don Toyota.

Rowlett, Texas

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    As usuall, looks good, griff
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Titanman
    Titanman Posts: 30
    Options
    Looks great. I can't wait to try cooking shrimp scampi.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I am firing some up tonight as an app. I can't wait to give this a try.
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Options
    I wish we were neighbors.  We could have cooking wars
  • Boileregger
    Boileregger Posts: 614
    Options
    Griffin, I've noticed you use your cast iron skillet quite a bit - what size is that that fits so comfortably on a L? After seeing your cookie, and now the scampi, I may have to invest in one.
  • Kristinnn
    Kristinnn Posts: 133
    Options
    I use this griswold #5 its about 8 inches on the inside and 12-13 inches with handle.  His is probably a tad bigger
    apic.JPG 124.8K
  • Griffin
    Options

Boileregger....I've got quite a few actually. The one I used last night is an old Wagner Ware. Not sure on what number, but it has a 0 on the bottom and an 8 on the handle. It measures about 10 inch across at the top. It got rescued from an old barn on the ranch that was falling apart. Brought it home, re-seasoned it and its good to go.

I've got my Grandmother's old skillet that measures 10.5 on the top. I know nothing about it other than it has an 8 etched in the bottom and a small raised letter D.

I've got a Lodge that's about 8" across on the top for small item. It's ok and you can pick them up pretty much anywhere. I've also got one that is 12" across. It'll fit, but I'd really like to cut the handle off of it so it will sit in the center, right now the handle kind of pushes its towards the edge. There's also a Lodge Dutch oven that fits nicely.

And last I have a Griswald #34 Plett Pan, that I've never used on the Egg. In fact, I've never used it at all.

But to answer your question, any cast iron pan that measures 10 inches will fit right in the center, any larger and it starts to push it to one side.

Rowlett, Texas

• Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Options
    My wife saw that one and added it to my short list.  I usually just use the dutch oven sans lid for this sort of thing.  That humble chunk of metal is so seasoned it never misses.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • Griffin
    Options

This is the 10" Wagner getting some action tonight at regular grate level so you can see what kind of room you have left.image

Rowlett, Texas

• lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options

Love those!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    I just ate, but I want some of that ^^^^^^^ Griffin!
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    Just make sure that your date has just as much garlic as you do :-)
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Griffin
    Options
    Just make sure that your date has just as much garlic as you do :-)
    That works, too. ;)

Rowlett, Texas