Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trex Pork Loin?

A2Z
A2Z Posts: 99
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Need help with a pork loin.  Would like to cut some 1 1/2" Loin chops and trex them like a steak.  Will it work? 

Comments

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    I'm just a lurker too no egg yet but my answer would be it should work.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    It's a steak. Cooking a steak like a steak will always work ;)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I agree with Stike. I routinely cook pork chops like steaks. However, I cook chops till 150 as I'm not a fan of it too pink.

Maybe Stike will break it down for me and stress how temp is no different in pork vs beef. Lol
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
  • stike
    Chops ARE steaks, fwiw
  • cazzy
    stike said:

Chops ARE steaks, fwiw

What temp do you eat your pork chops?
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stike
    140-145
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    edited July 2012

I did some center cut boneless pork chops back in February. 1-1/2" thick, seared @ 500 on CI grate @ regular level. Seared 90 secs., turn another 90 secs., flipped for 90 secs. then pulled of until I dropped the temp. Finished @ 350 to 400 on raised grate on the AR, to the temp. of 150. I seasoned these with a recipe my cousin uses from Tyler, Tx.. Rub with worcestershire sauce, then cover both sides with Accent, Lawreys Season Salt and Lemon Pepper.

I like to buy whole cryovaced loins from Costco, I believe they were from Swift. I cut a 4" to 5" roast off of each end and then slice the center loin to the thickness I want. I'll have to get the exact prices later to show the savings, the whole loin is cheaper per lb. than the price for pork loin roasts and considerably cheaper that center cut chops. So you not only save money, but get to determine how thick you want them.

The 1st pic. is after searing, the 2nd is after they're done and then on the plate.

423 x 513 - 98K
    480 x 640 - 132K
    640 x 480 - 179K
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • stike
    it's been almost 11 hours since we all replied, and the OP hasn't come back. that's almost as bad as no one answering his question in the first 11 hours.
    (hahahaaha)

• A2Z

it's been almost 11 hours since we all replied, and the OP hasn't come back. that's almost as bad as no one answering his question in the first 11 hours.
    (hahahaaha)

@ stike hahahahaha sorry I did not stay up last night to answer you.  Will try harder next time.  I was willing to end this, however if you want to keep poking at it, I am game.  
  • stike
    edited July 2012
    i'm just giving you grief.  if you are going to hang out here at all you are going to need to assume people are kidding with you rather than attacking.

fwiw, i replied to you BEFORE you stated that no one had replied to you.  and there was a dude ahead of me, too.  point being, no one is shunning or mocking anyone simply because the answer isn't provided within x amount of time.

you are going to get way more answers than you can stand or decipher most times.  so don't take the ONE question of yours which went unanswerd be the one that makes you forgt the previous help you did get.  and don't assume we are always attacking.

if you can get upset no one answered in 11 hours, don't think it strange if people are wondering where you went after they answered your question.  we don't need 'thanks', that's not my point.  my point is a good dose of chilling is in order. 

it is always bad form to chastise people for not giving you help as fast as you want them to.

• A2Z

At the time I made the comment, there were no answers.  My point was not about how fast I was answered, but about not being answered at all.

Irregardless, Time to move on.  End of subject.