Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

building an outdoor kitchen delima

Jscott
Jscott Posts: 174
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I've been 'lurking' and learning on the board for awhile. Now, I have a question that has risen out of a problem, at least for me anyway.

We are planning an outdoor kitchen, living north of ATL makes it a perfect thing to do and we love entertaining. The problem for me is I'd like to position my XL on the main wall and have a pizza oven behind me across from a bar. My wife wants a gasser to go along with the BGE. Do I really need a gasser is my question and so far I'm not able to persuade her.

What do you guys think are the necessary components for an outdoor kitchen?

Thanks!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    No gasser. If space and money were no issue, I would have one xl and one lg side by side. The Xl for long and slow and the lg for hot and fast. Example: You would sear your steaks on your lg and finish them on the xl or do a brisket and or ribs on the xl and cook up some stuffed peppers or mushrooms on the lg. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Jscott
    Thanks Travis, hoping you'd weigh in. Appreciate your insight.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    No gasser. If space and money were no issue, I would have one xl and one lg side by side. The Xl for long and slow and the lg for hot and fast. Example: You would sear your steaks on your lg and finish them on the xl or do a brisket and or ribs on the xl and cook up some stuffed peppers or mushrooms on the lg. 

What he said.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    In the process myself of getting the gas grill removed so i can put in an outdoor kitchen myself.  I have no intention of replacing it with anything but eggs!  For now, just one XL

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    I haven't even touched my gasser since getting my egg. It is just taking up space. One of these days I will probably put it out on the street and hope somebody takes it.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Gasser went to the street also canned the pizza oven idea after getting the egg. Ensuring however that my outdoor kitchen has space for a second egg to compliment my XL.
    Lynnwood WA
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    edited July 2012

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• 70chevelle
    70chevelle Posts: 280
    I have all 3 (LBGE, Gasser, and pizza oven) and enjoy them all.  I use my gasser out of convenience and also when Im not looking for a charcoal grilled flavor, such as yesterday.  Wife made homemade gnocci (Italian potato dumplings) and meatballs.  Didnt want to heat up the house with the indoor oven, so I baked the meatballs and banana peppers with garlic and asiago cheese on the gasser.  My egg was smoking a large batch of jalapenos while all this was going on.  The egg can make a good high heat pizza, but the WFO produces an entirely different product, IMHO.  Not that I wont cook a pizza on my egg, but it cant do what the WFO does. 
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Replace the gasser with a kegerator.

/thread
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i wouldnt want the gasser but i would want a big gas burner and maybe a small portable gas burner, maybe even a mini egg
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Replace the gasser with a kegerator.

/thread
    Hard to argue with that plan.
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    I just went trough the process and decided on the gasser rather than an XL. Although I prefer the BGE for almost everything, my wife prefers the gasser for some cooks. It clearly is more convenient, especially when the kids are starving after a late day at the office . It is hooked up to the natural gas and gets up to searing temps in about 10 minutes. Also good for grilling for bigger crowds.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Jscott
    I like the gas burner idea, maybe a cheap industrial range w/oven would be nice. What other components should I add?
  • mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    The counter is what makes the kitchen great. I have 2+ feet next to both the bge and gasser. I also have a cold water sink, an undercounter refrig. and plenty of storage underneath. I ended up with AOG grill and drawers and doors. Although pricy, it is much less than others and still good quality. They will last for my lifetime.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222
    If I was going to build an outdoor kitchen I would have a gasser.  Hard to beat the convenience sometimes.

What I don't understand is, if you wife wants the gasser, do we really have anything to discuss?  ;)
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    If I was going to build an outdoor kitchen I would have a gasser.  Hard to beat the convenience sometimes.

What I don't understand is, if you wife wants the gasser, do we really have anything to discuss?  ;)
    Happy wife, happy life!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• gtcharlie
    gtcharlie Posts: 65
    I am going to fall in the camp of including a gasser.  For convenience sake if nothing else.  Of course I live up north so the weather conditions are not exactly the same as those you are facing.  Even so for those weeknights when you get home later and still want to do something on the grill I would definitely give yourself the flexibility.
  • probe1957
    probe1957 Posts: 222

Happy wife, happy life!
    If mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.  :)
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800

That's a good dilemma to have...

If budget is not any issue, then I"d have the gasser (1-2 burners) for any kind of saute/prep work. I would not bother with the pizza oven. You've got all the hardware you need to do pizzas..

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    I'd definitely include a gasser. I use mine all the time - even when I'm not cooking on it I rest meat in it while I wait for the egg to come up to sear temp. I fire it up for quick hot dogs or brats for lunch, I throw sides on it sometimes, and I use it for last minute things. I could do without it, but given a choice I wouldn't want to. All of that might be different if my gasser was LP, though. If I couldn't go NG and had to settle for an LP gasser that would make the decision a little tougher.
    XL BGE
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

I have an outdoor kitchen which includes a gasser, located 4 steps from the back door under a covered patio.   My Egg is located at the other end of the pool, across from the door to the house.

Couple of thoughts related to my type of cooking.

First, my use of the Egg was originally intended primarily for low and slow.   Though I subsquently learned how much more it would do ( and love it ) - I wanted the 10-18 hours of smoldering smoke to be far away from the door into the house.

Second, as much as I love my Egg - I still use the gasser.   Certain items are easier, faster to walk out the back door and turn on the knob.   Granted, tastes better on the Egg, but times it is just more covenient.

I vote for both.

Cookin in Texas
  • mikeb9550
    mikeb9550 Posts: 95
    I am also building an outdoor kitchen. Ditched the gasser for added counter space. It was an easy decision for me since I havent used it in years since getting into charcoal grills/ smokers. Just bought an lg egg to replace my weber kettle. Quick hot dogs and hamburgers just as fast other ways IMO. I am working on the frame. Will post pics. I have a lg egg in corner, weber bullet in cabinet, sink, big 2 burner camp chef stove. Rest counter and I still don't have as much counter as I would like. It was either a gasser or stove so I went with a stove so I could boil water or fry things. Also has cast iron gridle for 1/2 of it. Very powerful 30k per burner.
  • WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    My porch is too small for egg and gasser so our old friend (nice MHP) had to move down to the grass. If we had the room I would keep both on the porch
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99
    If wife wants gas grill as it was said already, you better buy her one.  Keep it close to the egg so you can store all your accessories for the egg in it.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    I went out to use the gasser the other day and it had a hard time lighting- it was either pissed or sad from the extended neglect Either way didn't care The gasser is nice for quick but only if you don't care how you food actually tastes
    Greensboro, NC
  • RoyalQ
    RoyalQ Posts: 11
    If you must have a gasser, go with a Weber Q. It's portable and can easily be tucked away when not in use. I keep one on the covered porch, for those times when New England weather keeps me from the egg.
  • rustypotts
    rustypotts Posts: 265
    I got my first LBGE a month ago.  I have a gasser at my other home that I use every day when I'm there.  I'm now wondering how I could possibly live there without an egg.  Well I won't have to since I bought a Mini from Craigs list.  I guess I'm just a BGE newly wed but I don't want a gasser.  I guess that's just all blather.  I can see the benefit for quick preparations.  I guess I'm still enamored with being able to do it all with charcoal.
  • Newville
    Newville Posts: 84

What he said.

+2 Thought I needed a replacement for the old gasser even after purchasing a large 6 years ago. Worried about time it takes to start a traditional charcoal/lump grill...was I ever wrong. Once i figured ou how to get the egg rockin quickly, the only thing I missed with the large was grill space. An XL (or even a large/XL combo) takes care of that!
  • pyrotom
    pyrotom Posts: 1
    When I think of things that it's handy to have gas for, I think of quick searing and sideburners. One way you can kill both birds is to get a sear station (like this: http://www.rhpeterson.com/firemagic/accessories/side-burners/diamond-double-searing-station/ ). It seems unorthodox, but you can put a pot right on top of the grate over the infrared burner.