Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Control...

2»

Comments

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    I built my own temperature controller using PID controllers from Auber Instruments.  In addition to the fun I had building it, I now have an excellent temp controller and don't have to worry about making adjustments to my vents for overnight cooks.  It will hold to 1 degree.  It is really quite amazing.  I did a brisket yesterday and the temp controller worked like a champ.

Auber provides the curcuit schematics to use the PID as a BBQ Pit controller, as well as the PID settings.

I also added to smaller PID controllers to act simply as temperature monitors and alarms.  I can glance out my kitchen window and see the Pit temp, the set temp for Pit, as well as 2 food temps.

I bought the blower unit and adapter from BBQ Guru, and all of the electronics from Auber / Radioshack.

Caution,  In the end, I spent about as much as a BBQ Guru, but if you enjoy those types of projects, you can customize it to your preferences (which is what I did.)
    Auber def has some great stuff for sale. I had been putting together a list of stuff to build a PID controlled electric beer brewing system, but took a new job which requires me to be on the road too much.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    @titanman

Good idea, and @stike is spot on, I am not pro like him, but I am also past the newb phase, he could not have been more correct in his statement. It really puts it all into perspective, just let the egg do its thing, and you will learn as well.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i am no pro either.  i can only cook something someone has taught me to cook, or that i learned from a book. hahaha
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Titanman
    Titanman Posts: 30
    Thanks for the information Stike. Its great information for a new egghead to know :-c
  • Baysidebob
    Baysidebob Posts: 489
    Open the lid and cool air rushes in and the dome reading drops.  The cool air also incudes far more O2 which will increase the fire.  Don't chase it!  Bar-B-Que is primitive.  Open a beer.  Finish the beer.  Check to see if any slight adjustments are needed.  All will be well.
    My actuary says I'm dead.
  • phishfindr
    phishfindr Posts: 12
    Well, it's officially in the book as my first cook. And it came out GREAT!!! Thanks for all of the timely help....huge assist....and I'll be the first to say that next time I'm going to RELAX and let the EGG take control. Proud to be an Egghead!

That was awesome! 
    :D
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I think a lot of this goes to different eggers personalities and of course, experience.  Laid back egger, says I wanted 250 and dome reads 265, so I'm good.  Others have the same readings and say "something is wrong, I'm 15 degrees over my target".

25 degrees one way or the other will only make a very small difference in cook.

• RoyalQ
    RoyalQ Posts: 11
    I've recently started using the digiq dx2 with excellent results. I only wish there was an option to manually operate the blowerintense some cooks (steaks, pizza) I'd like to get the temp above 475. The blower adapter blocks some of the airflow, so I'd like to use the fan without the temp control. Plus, I like keeping the daisy wheel nearly closed. It could be in my head, but I feel like less heat is escaping the dome. Has anyone found a way to manually control the fan?
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    You'll never get above 475 with the daisy nearly closed

Air in equals exhaust out. You can't get more water to flow thru a hose just by opening the tap if the flow is being held back by your tightening down the nozzle

Your daisy is limiting the flow

Lose the digiQ for anything over 350. There's not need for that kind of control for such a hot fast cook not even sure they work at those temps.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • I've only had an Egg for 2 weeks now but I am beginning to think that a lot of temperature control variation depends on where the probe is that your are reading.
    If it's the Egg's original, then if you have indirect or direct heat hitting the probe it will make a difference.  If you put in a pizza stone or cover the grill with food, it's almost the same as indirect with no radiated direct heat hitting the probe. 

So setting up a constant temp will be affected by your direct / indirect set up.