Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt Lick Rub

Options
friscoag
friscoag Posts: 97
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've read several of you that use the Salt Lick rub.  We experimented with it over the weekend and I really liked it but if had a VERY strong black pepper taste.  For you that use it, do you use it very heavy?  We did several racks of ribs with different rubs and honestly the one that was the best was a mixture of Bad Byron's Butt Rub and the Salt Lick Rub.  Those 2 together really made a good combo.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Correct and there is a lot of cayenne in there too. My kids won't eat it if I go too heavy. I will say in conjunction with the salt lick sauce, it's very, very good and the sauce cuts the black/pepper cayenne just enough for my taste. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • friscoag
    Options
    I really liked that peppery taste, but I can see how not everyone would.  Just curious if everyone else thought the same on the pepper flavor.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Agreed. I like it heavy but the wife doesn't. It's pretty spicy.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I have to disagree with cen tex on the sauce though. I don't care for it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I can see that. It is very unique. Might not be for everyone. I love it on things that I use the rub on and it's really good (for me) on chicken and ribs
  • travisstrick
    Options
    I may try it on ckn. I tried their ribs from the restaurant and it was very different. Not bad, just not rib material.
  • friscoag
    Options

We did 6 different "half racks" of st louis style ribs.

The combinations were:
    1) Butt Rub
    2) Salt Lick
    3) Combo Butt Rub/Salt Lick
    4) Homemade Rub
    5) John Henry Brisket rub
    6) Another John Henry

My favorite was the Salt Lick, but the group's consensus favorite was the Butt Rub/Salt Lick Combo.

Sorry I don't have pics.  Did all those Ribs, plus about a dozen quail, 6-7 Chukar's, and some shrimp.  It was a great cook!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

We did 6 different "half racks" of st louis style ribs.

The combinations were:
    1) Butt Rub
    2) Salt Lick
    3) Combo Butt Rub/Salt Lick
    4) Homemade Rub
    5) John Henry Brisket rub
    6) Another John Henry

My favorite was the Salt Lick, but the group's consensus favorite was the Butt Rub/Salt Lick Combo.

Sorry I don't have pics.  Did all those Ribs, plus about a dozen quail, 6-7 Chukar's, and some shrimp.  It was a great cook!

I did 2 racks with salt lick sauce and rub on one and dizzy pig/bone suckin sauce on the other. Dizzy/Bone Suckin won in our house but both were good.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I did a wing cook with all kinds of dizzy rubs and Salt Lick rub as well. We did, Tsunami Spin, Jamaican Firewalk, Swamp Venom, Shakin' the Tree, and Salt lick. It was Salt Lick and Jamaican Firewalk as 1 and 1A in our taste test. Those 2 got eaten first.

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    I can see that. It is very unique. Might not be for everyone. I love it on things that I use the rub on and it's really good (for me) on chicken and ribs
    Cen-Tex I sure hope I share your pallete, just ordered six jars of Salt Lick's original sauce, I love to experiment. Sure do miss Central Market in San Antonio....
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen-Tex I sure hope I share your pallete, just ordered six jars of Salt Lick's original sauce, I love to experiment. Sure do miss Central Market in San Antonio....
    I love the stuff so give it a rip and let me know what you think
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    +1 for Salt Lick.  I celebrate their entire catalog.  

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

Salt Lick is good stuff. A bit heavy on the pepper and heat, so go sparingly if that's all you are seasoning your ribs with.

lakewade - have you tried their chiptole bbq sauce yet? Not a fan here. In fact, it went in the trash. But do love their other sauces.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    +1 for Salt Lick as well. I used them on the pork ribs this weekend and it was a blast for wife and kids. They love it.  :)>-

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts