Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

32 Pounds of Pork was A Success

Options
TUTTLE871
TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

I did Four 8LB Boston Butts for a friend of mine at a wine tasting.

I Injected them with Apple Juice, Wiskey and Worcetershire sauce. Rubbed them with Mustard and some of my special rub I have invented (pretty much the same rub as everyone elses).

Built up my Lump and used some Cherry Wood Chunks Got the egg at 225 around 9:00PM on Friday night and stayed awake till Midnight watching the temp to make sure if it wouldnt drop. I got up at 2:30(Temp OK) got up at 5 (Temp was 200) so I adjusted it, Got up at 8 and temp was still at 225.

At around 11AM I pulled them and wrapped in Foil and Towels and put them in the cooler waiting to be picked up.

Served about 30 people pork sandwiches. (The Funniest thing we saw was a very large man at a wine tasting walking around with pork in his hands and a greasy wine glass)

Alot of people kep on coming up to me and telling me this was the best Pulled Pork they have every had.

I will be doing this again and wont change a thing.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Looks good, nice job. Glad everyone enjoyed it. Pulled pork always seems to be a hit with people, especially when it comes off an egg.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options

Looks great and nice smoke ring. Was this done on a large?

I did a 8 lb PP yesterday and had a friend and his wife over. They have never tasted anything like it. Living here in the fridgid north (MN), there are no places to buy food like this. I make one a month and freeze the leftovers.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Looks excellent. 225 held alright? What meat temp did you pull at? I am going to get a stoker and then do a 225 vs 250 comparison.
  • TUTTLE871
    Options

This was done on a Large. I was very happy with my smoke ring.

Pulled them about 190 and then wrapped in foil and wrapped up in towels.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nice job, Tuttle. Glad it all worked out.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• TUTTLE871
    Options
    Nice job, Tuttle. Glad it all worked out.

Thanks Griffin, Now I have some of the folks from last weekend wanting me to cook some things for them. Since I am still unemployed I have found something to pass the time.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    I'm sure they will be glad to have you make more... smiles all around. Just add wine!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Options
    What is your set-up? It looks like the bottom butts are low in the egg?
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    Nice job I like the whiskey and apple mix gonna have to try the next time. only bad thing about cooking 4 or more by the time I have pulled it I normally cant eat it. Wierd I know the smell is just too much normally have it some for supper the next night after a big cook.
  • TUTTLE871
    Options
    What is your set-up? It looks like the bottom butts are low in the egg?
    Its an adjustable rig from the ceramicgrillstore. Works great you can get two racks and can get alot of meat on the Large Egg.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.