Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hey you. Yes, you lurkers who are not posting.

Comments

• gumbo_bill
    gumbo_bill Posts: 35
    I hesitate to articulate for fear that I might deviate from the course of rectitude.  

I still hesitate to articulate...  It's TRUE

I believe the actual Fish answer was (at least it was in 1961): I hesitate to articulate for fear I may deviate from the TRUE course of rectitude.  In short, sir, I am a very dumb Fish and do not know,  SIR.

Gig 'em.

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Guilty as charged!  I try to add where i think i can, but otherwise shut up ( my wife says it is better that way!)  I learn alot, as as i become more "seasoned" with the egg, i am sure my time to help will come.  Thanks to all that contribute!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Alright, I'll step out of the shadows as well. I bought my Egg in May off a dealer on Cape Cod who was getting rid of his used, and unfortunately poorly cared for Egg. However, got into it for a lot less than retail and have made some modifications to get her back up to acceptable condition. I read the forum daily but will try to add something as we go along. I've been really impressed by how nice people are so thank you to making this a nice place to come during my otherwise boring work day. I must add that there is a Thermapen somewhere between Utah and Mass. on it's way to my house. My wife has now barred me from speaking about my new thermometer and bitching about Comcast since it was all I talked about last week. Looking forward to becoming more active.
  • volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Just joined the forum after lurking for about 8 months.  Got my XL egg the day after Christmas last year.  I use it at least 3 days a week although it's a little tougher now that it's rainy season here in the Tampa Bay area.  Here is the schedule we've been in:  BGE Pizza Friday, seared filets & baked taters on Saturday, and Sunday is the day for smoking.  Absolutely love my egg.  Have had a Weber gasser for about 10 years.  It is a great grill, but I've only fired it up once since getting my egg.

BTW, my wife bought me a table for my birthday, and now I have a nest that's available for sale.  Is there a sub-forum for buying & selling gear?
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2012
    Dang @travisstrick you're really bringing people out of woodwork with this thread!  Great topic bro!  

Welcome to all the new eggers finally revealing themselves!  While you may not feel you can add to a thread, you might be surprised how much you'll help other board members.  Even what you may consider failed cooks still add value to our board so post about those too.  As more experienced eggers chime in to help you succeed during your next attempt, that is valuable information for all board members...even the ones still in self-induced protective custody.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Busted!! Still digesting all the information. Excellent resource for all of us newbies! Thanks!
  • Dang @travisstrick you're really bringing people out of woodwork with this thread!  Great topic bro!  

Welcome to all the new eggers!  While you may not feel you can add to a thread, you might be surprised how much you'll help other board members.  Even what you may consider failed cooks still add value to our board so post about those too.  As more experienced eggers chime in to help you succeed during your next attempt, that is valuable information for all board members...even the ones still in self-induced protective custody.
    Well said Caz. Welcome all and we welcome your input. I think you'll find that most of us are glad to help and we all understand and remember what it's like to just be starting out. I can still remember standing outside in the WI snow dropping F-Bombs at 3:30 am when my fire went out every weekend so you got nothing on me!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669

Travis, you wife thought this question up, correct? Your just not that deep my friend.

Travis, very good post man.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cazzy

Travis, you wife thought this question up, correct? Your just not that deep my friend.

Travis, very good post man.

LOL...You can always count on Mickey for jokes!  love it!  :))
  • brian4206
    brian4206 Posts: 19

Been lurking since October. Learned alot. Haven't really discovered anything ground breaking on my own that I felt is post worthy. I hate sifting through BS to try and find the useful info so I try to keep the BS to a minimum. Been practicing my ribs lately. Just got a fresh new replacement gasket and 15lbs. of apricot wood so maybe I will be posting some rib pics up soon.

• ohiolion
    ohiolion Posts: 28

I've been watching you....  ;)

• wpaules3
    wpaules3 Posts: 6

I always was taught to keep my mouth shut and my ears open and I might learn something!

• cazzy

I always was taught to keep my mouth shut and my ears open and I might learn something!

Forget everything you've been taught then!  :P
  • I come for answers, I have not cooked enough to give answers... I will try to post some pics of successful cooks soon.  I love my egg (who doesn't) and am growing as an egghead with every cook.
  • fat-kid
    fat-kid Posts: 3
    i've been lurking for three years. seriously, since the old website. love the site and i am greatly appreciative for the wealth of information. i've cooked about everything but ice cream on the egg, but i never felt it was worthy of posting. i guess now that i've been dragged kicking out of the shadows for my first post i may need to start. does this mean i'm still a newbie?
  • bertscampers
    bertscampers Posts: 136
    Thanks for all the info.  I was approved today so I have not been able to post.  I bought my BGE last week.  Did ribs a couple of times.  The first time was not great but reading all the info and post made the second set great.  I still have lots to learn, so thanks once again.

Cheers
  • mb99zz
    mb99zz Posts: 183
    Hello,

This is a fantastic forum with lots of great information.  I'm guilty of lurking....don't own a BGE and came here to gather some info and make an informed decision on my purchase.  Thanks!  I hope to be a member of the eggy family soon.  

MB
  • A2Z
    A2Z Posts: 99
    Another "lurker" here.  Posted a question 11 hours ago, never did get a reply.  Tell me again how we should all participate. 
  • A2Z
    Another "lurker" here.  Posted a question 11 hours ago, never did get a reply.  Tell me again how we should all participate. 
    Found the answer on a post from michigan jason.  Looking at the number of replies on that post, maybe it matters who asks on here. 
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Found the answer on a post from michigan jason.  Looking at the number of replies on that post, maybe it matters who asks on here. 
    You may be right.  It also might be how you go about winning friends and influencing people.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Don't know your post query but I do look for those questions that I feel I can offer some info that will help, and then chime in.  No filters or any bias with regard to my inputs or lack thereof-just my perceived value of what I could offer.  Welcome-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153
    You may be right.  It also might be how you go about winning friends and influencing people.

Ha! Lol
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    Doesn't get any worse than this...I hate to admit this BUT I am officially a Lurker of the Hey you. Yes, you who are not pos...I guess I'm not whew :)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I've on the forum on and off all day. I have responded to many new folks posts. I would have responded to yours but I didn't see it. 

Word of advise, it goes equally for the forum and life. If you piss and moan and cry poor me, no one will want to hang out with you.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    To the rest of the lurkers who grew wings and posted..... shucks, I'm proud of you guys.  :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • brentsee
    brentsee Posts: 99

2.2k views, that's 2200.  115 posts, things are coming along.  I too am a lurker unless I feel I can add something.  I'm ok with lurking as a lot of the post's are very helpful to me.  Thanks guys and gals.

• A2Z
    I've on the forum on and off all day. I have responded to many new folks posts. I would have responded to yours but I didn't see it. 

Word of advise, it goes equally for the forum and life. If you piss and moan and cry poor me, no one will want to hang out with you.

@ Travis  who pissed and moaned about nobody posting on here? I believe it was you.  If you missed my post , I am sorry to have hurt your feelings.  I thought in 11 hours maybe if you were on here off and on all day you may have seen it..

As far as winning friends and influencing people, I have done fine in life and even prior to joining this forum.

This is not the first time I have posted a question and never received a response.  I wrote it off as everyone missed it,

As far as crying poor me, Travis, people who believe they know it all, similar to your attitude makes this forum really undesirable.  That is as nicely as I can word it on a public forum. I believe even you will understand what I mean.   

• phishfindr
    phishfindr Posts: 12
    Hey! I am new here and was sure I'd never post anything until I felt like I might be able to help, or get a reply without me looking like a nut.....until I was 2:15 into my first cook today when the calvary showed up on the forum to help me through a rough patch (It's called OCD with the temp control issue...me vs. opening the lid and watching the thermometer). Sure enough, I was off the ledge and in much better shape in no time flat. And the cooking continued unabated! A 3 lb. whole chicken was thoroughly enjoyed with family this evening. 

A fine day indeed. Can't wait 'til the next one...