Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Before the Egg?

2»

Comments

• YEMTreyYEMTrey Posts: 1,334
    edited July 2012
    Before the egg was a Gasser and an offset smoker.  Loved grilling on my gasser, but it was mostly burgers, steaks, chicken, etc.  Wanted to try my hand at smoking pork shoulder and ribs and this offset came along at the right price (free).  Wanted to make sure I had the interest and was able to control temps and still enjoy myself.  Made some pretty decent food, but the offset had to be babysat, which caused me to drink while smoking, and resulted in my being pretty inebriated by the time the food was done. 
    Discovered that I enjoyed smoking and looked for something more efficient.  Thus the Egg.  Bought an XL and now I feel like I'm cheating it's so easy.  The offset smoker is on the side of the house waiting to be discarded. 
    I haven't broken chains with my gasser yet.  Still like the ease of cranking it up quickly and throwing some brats and hamburgers on during the week after work.  I expect that may change the more I use the Egg, but I'm just not there yet.

Made some of the best pulled pork I've ever tasted in my life yesterday on my XL Egg.  My wife informed me last night that the Egg will actually save us money over the long run, because restaurant food will no longer taste good and we can make better at home on the Egg.  Only took one week for me to convert her over to an Egg lover!

Gonna smoke some ribs this weekend, and maybe some chicken or app's before then during the week!
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    "Ain't nobody gonna find ya, unless you get yourself lost."
  • tonyledtonyled Posts: 32
    weber genesis (10 years old now) and still have it.  i actually prefer it for direct cooking over the egg
  • A2ZA2Z Posts: 99
    edited July 2012
    A Jenn-air gas grill and a walmart propane box smoker.  All jokes aside that cheapo propane smoker made some awful good babybacks, just a pain to keep adding water.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 5,997

I have a Brinkman offset that has moved on down to the in-laws ranch. Still sees some action for smoking while the built in is for grilling

Some ABT's and turtle eggs

Had a gas grill that moved to my parents house. Gets used on holidays.

Greart for quick grilling in the summer while swimming in the pool, but the Egg by far blows away any grill I have ever owned or used.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

• BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,441
    I had a cheap charcoal grill from walmart and my old gasser.
  • scooter759scooter759 Posts: 234

Hibachi - long gone

1st Weber Kettle - wore it out

2nd Weber kettle - wore it out

Weber Genesis - used it a lot, IMHO it went through too many burners and flavorizer bars - sold it

BBQ Galore 4 burner turbo - used lots of propane and too many hotspots, sold it

30 inch offset pit smoker from Jeff's Backyard (San Antonio), good smoker, too heavy to move to MN, sold it (quickly)

Weber Summit Silver - still have it, mostly used as a heat source for Griddle Q

3rd Weber Kettle - still have it, mainly it's "yard art"

Traeger Lil Tex - okay smoker, had problems with temp controller electronics, sold it when I got the BGE, imo it tended to dry food out on longer cooks.

Weber Q - used a lot when camping in TX, now mainly gets used in garage in bad weather, and when we go to "in-laws" for "BBQ's". I always end up at the grill and I refuse to use anything my in-laws have.

And of course large BGE, currently having a hard time not pulling the trigger on a second one, but being unemployed overrules that right now.

Large & medium eggs, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Kettle, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Cymbaline65Cymbaline65 Posts: 610

I have two Webers (Gold, Smokey Joe), gas grill, Brinkmann Dual Zone charcoal grill (the one they made that was actually worth a crap) and of course my Egg.

I use them all but prefer the Egg overall. Had a birthday party Saturday and I needed all the grill square footage I could get. Had three grils going and everyone got fed. Use the gas for weekday stuff when I'm home.

All just depends on timing and what needs to be done.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • preneaupreneau Posts: 7

Weber kettle... still have it

Ducane gasser ....

• calracefancalracefan Posts: 470
    Brinkman Gas Grill- just about burnt up
    Weber Kettle Grill- still in good shape
    Masterbilt Electric Smoker- works good but requires some attention while smoking !
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • RocEGGRocEGG Posts: 85
    Prior to the egg I had:
    1: a New Braunfels barrel type smoker/grill. Gave it away a month or two ago shortly after getting the egg.
    2: A 2009 model Weber Genesis S-330 propane grill. Still works great and gets used occasionally.
    3: Have a Little Chief electric smoker that has been in the family for at least 30 years. Doesn't get used much anymore.
    Rochester, NY  - XL BGE
  • boatbumboatbum Posts: 1,261

Lot's of gassers over the years.   Older weber.

First dedicated smoker was a Brinkman ( I think) - that looked like R2D2.

Then went to a side firebox, vertical smoke chamber smoker - fought that thing for years.

Cooked quite a bit on my friends trailer based rig.

Will never want to be without an Egg for low and slow.

Cookin in Texas
  • BGE4LifeBGE4Life Posts: 34
    I had a weber kettle, switched to a Ducane Gas Grill that I hated to my first LBGE and now a second LBGE.
  • I love my webers. Started with a kettle and that was it. Then bought a WSM, and I was hooked. Several kettles and performers later I got into eggs. Bought four, need to stop. Then came across a bubba keg grill, love that too. Now my brother and I picked up a ranch kettle. That thing is the bomb. They're all fun and cook great. Man I love charcoal cooking.

John - SLC, UT

Webers, Eggs, Bubba Keg