Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lizzie's overnight brisket fun time

Options

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Looks like everyone nailed their briskets. Looking forward to see @LizzieSamps pictures of her brisket sliced.
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Options
    Finished burnt ends, they're pretty damn good. Thinking I might use a BBQ sauce to introduce a little more sweetness. Pretty happy right now.

As an added bonus, here's my first spatchcock chicken. 350-400 (rose over cook), indirect for 1 hour. Pulled with breast @160. Skin is crispy and smells unbelievable. Very excited right now...

Cheers all -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Well.....certainly not thee best I've ever made but it was pretty good. A little light on smoke and rub. Last time I thought I used too much run and that it was too salty. I backed off and probably too much. It was well cooked though and it was certainly better than the sammich I had at the BBQ trailer by my house Friday. Not evn. Lose on that one. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Looks great to me!
    Options
    Well.....certainly not thee best I've ever made but it was pretty good. A little light on smoke and rub. Last time I thought I used too much run and that it was too salty. I backed off and probably too much. It was well cooked though and it was certainly better than the sammich I had at the BBQ trailer by my house Friday. Not evn. Lose on that one. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    The Cen-Tex Smoker, is this the point or the flat in this picture? Looks good either way I'm just curious. Trying to learn everything I can before I do my next one.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The Cen-Tex Smoker, is this the point or the flat in this picture? Looks good either way I'm just curious. Trying to learn everything I can before I do my next one.

It's the flat
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • krobertsmsn
    krobertsmsn Posts: 655
    Options
    It does look perfect!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    edited July 2012
    Options
    edit

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • bge123
    bge123 Posts: 15
    Options
    Looks great!! Mine is still resting but regardless, this pasta salad my wife makes is to die for... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    That pasta salad looks great!  Mind sharing the recipe?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    It does look perfect!

Briskets are a fickle mistress. It was good but not great. On a brighter note, I found an accomplice to help me take a real brisket sandwich to the horrible bbq trailer by our house :) I know he really just wants to film it for his archives but he is handy as a getaway driver (sadly, I know this to be true from experience). He throws a mean watermelon too.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Okay everyone, wanted to post one last picture. This is the final end product that we're just about to sit down and enjoy. The flat is a little overdone, probably due to high cook temps last night, but it's all pretty tasty. Gotta love that all of this came from the Egg, and really from a single cook. Hope everyone else enjoys as much as we will.

Cheers All -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • ncbbq
    Options
    @Black_Badger, looks good, enjoy.

The Cen-Tex Smoker, Please post that video if you do it, would love to get a laugh.
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    bge123 said:

Looks great!! Mine is still resting but regardless, this pasta salad my wife makes is to die for... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    That pasta salad looks great!  Mind sharing the recipe?

1 box ready cut noodles
    Hidden valley ranch dressing (mix to directions on pack)
    1 cucumber diced
    1 red bell pepper diced
    1 tomato diced
    3 boiled eggs chopped
    1 pack Sargento Mexican cheese
    I/2 onion diced
    Salt, black pepper and crushed red pepper to taste
    Mix all ingredients together
    Better if not refrigerated and eaten fresh

• Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Options
    I actually got my wife to post that recipe. ^^^^ She's been teasing me about how nerdy it is for me to take pics of my cooks and post them in cyber space. She then proceeded to call me a nerd's nerd and viral provider of all things nerd.  Maybe next post I'll keep you folks updates on the Trekkie convention in Vegas. Lol
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    I'll be at the con. I'm not even kidding. No costumes or other craziness, though.
    XL BGE
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    This has been the best cook that I never did.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    ok our diner guests just left.  We had Baked bean w/ left over pulled port mixed in.  salt rox mushrooms and grilled mushrooms, also home grown purple tomatoes caprese salad, a macaroni salad, and baked potato salad.  

We had a great time retelling the "Story of the Brisket"  

So it came time to unwrap and cut.... The point separated effortlesslessly from the flat, hooray!  No one had seen a brisket so they were very impressed.  I tasted a bit of the point, OOOOO so good and moist.  

The flat, was a dissapointment to me, it was not very juicy and seemed dry.  I sliced several slices off and then sliced up some of the point.  Everyone said they loved it and thanked me several times, but I myself feel like I overcooked it!  BUMMER!!

So, I have well over 1/2 left of the flat and about 1/2 of the point.  I am hoping to salvage it with sauce, or beef gravy.  I really am deflated! Sob, Sob

I guess when you grab the bull sometimes you get the horn.  RIGHT. I would not have it any other way! 

I am still glad I did it!! Thanks to @cen-tex Smoker, @lousubcap, @hapster, @Rubmyrock, @ncbbq, for the encouragement and knowledge.  I will be trying it again, now it is my new goal, to get a nice and juicy result that looked like yours did!  

After all, what good is life is you don't have a goal ahead of you!!!
    Pics are coming.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @Black_Badger, looks good, enjoy.

The Cen-Tex Smoker, Please post that video if you do it, would love to get a laugh.

nothing would make Lakewade happier. He is like Doc Hoiliday in Tombstone. When there is trouble to be found....he is your Huckleberry.........
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    This is the separated point from the flat. 

This is me slicing the flat, my hubby did not understand when I said take photos, I meant of the meat, not me!  Some of the slices pulled apart you can see that here.  FAIL!!!

• LizzieSamps
    Options
    that is not what I wanted to happen.  let me post from iphone app.

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    Instead of copying HTML code from photobucket just copy the direct link. Then click on the "insert photo" button up in the little post box toolbar and paste the photo's URL.
    XL BGE
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Okay, here's a question I've been meaning to get cleared up. Why are all the photos I post showing up so small? I'm uploading much larger resolution photos from my desktop, but they're all showing up as what are basically thumbnails. Does the forum limit resolution unless you're pulling from an outside source? I really wanted to share some pics that might be worth looking at from this cook.

@LizzieSamps - our briskets look remarkably similar. I got about five really good slices from the dead center of the flat, but the rest was a bit over cooked. Good luck with the next on and thanks for the great reports throughout.

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    don't worry about the falling apart. That is good meat. Just coarsely chop that up and add a little sauce and make chopped sammies. This is my favorite part fo the whole brisket. I have 3 lbs of chopped from mine today. It looks really good
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    @Black_Badger - I did not make it to the center of the flat,  I kind of gave up and cut up some of the tip and served both on the plate.  The tip was GREAT, the flat,  well FLOPPED  :)  I am hoping someone chimes in to tell me what I did wrong, I think it is simple.

I overcooked it dumbass!!  At least that is what is running through my head,  I just hope I can salvage it, even it that means, putting in the crockpot to stew with more liquid etc.  I just don't want to throw it all away,  
    :((
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Ok, just a question - could it have been ok when I pulled it off the grill had I eaten it right away.  I FTC from 1:30-7:00 then to the table.  Is that at least part of the problem?  Dinner was to be at 5 and then got pushed back.   Just trying to learn for the next time.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I overcooked it dumbass ding ding ding The hold in foil for so many hours could have hurt you too. Seriously though, chop up the falling apart stuff and make sandwiches. You'll never have such good brisket in your life. All is well-
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
    Should I chop it now, I already put in fridge but at least it is not been in there for a whole day.  Will it be easier to chop up now or later?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Should I chop it now, I already put in fridge but at least it is not been in there for a whole day.  Will it be easier to chop up now or later?
    not the end of the world either way. When you try some tomorrow, chop it up add a little sauce and warm slowly. eat on a sandwich and be happy
  • LizzieSamps
    Options
  • the_alchemist83
    Options
    So here is mine, planning on eating it tomorrow as we had lots of left overs from the wings on friday night, pork shoulder last night.  4.5 lb brisket flat, 250 F, 9 hours indirect, seasoned with dizzy pig: cow lick.  I didn't do any trimming prior to putting it on the grill.  It's now wrapped in foil & towels sitting in a cooler.  I guess we'll see if it's really tender in 2 hours.  I was able to have a real steady temp today, only made some minor adjustments using the daisy wheel, and made one bottom sash adjustment after about 5-6 hours otherwise hovered right around 250-240 all day long.  This is my first brisket experience so I have no idea how it went.