Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New High Heat Gasket(pic)

Options
Bullhalsey
Bullhalsey Posts: 108
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Guys,
I just put on my new high heat gasket last weekend.  I had completely fried the last 2 stock gaskets. Picked it up for $25, scraped all the charred bits of the cheap gasket off.  Used acetone to clean the rims off good.  Let it dry for a half hr., then carefully sprayed 3M 77 on.  I then worked the new gasket on carefully, and thus far I'm pretty pleased.  Only done 1 cook on it, about 400 degrees.  The test will come this weekend when I do a couple of pizzas for my guests...

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Good job. I have one but have not put it on yet. I have been dreading it because it seems like a pain. Hopefully it won't be too bad.
  • Bullhalsey
    Bullhalsey Posts: 108
    Options
    It's really not that bad(cooler of cold beer helped).....I took the dome off, which is simple.  All in all, It took me about an hour.  But I'm glad to have done it, I was sick of the charred bits of the cheap stock gasket.  Take a Saturday evening and get it done...
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Will do. I think I will take the advice on the beer as well.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    did the same, used alcohol no acetone and replaced with adhesive backed high heat from mothership. looks sharp we will see how she holds up. also put some on the ceramic cap as i noticed it snuffs the fire out faster.
    Seattle, WA