Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re so close to Thanksgiving that we can taste it and we’re ready to help you prepare the most delicious Thanksgiving feast you’ve ever cooked! Check out our Turkey Cheat Sheet for turkey tips, our Thanksgiving page for turkey recipes, and our Holiday Entertaining Publication for all other Thanksgiving needs to help you make this the best Thanksgiving yet! PS. Don’t forget about breakfast Thanksgiving morning either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

New High Heat Gasket(pic)

BullhalseyBullhalsey Posts: 90
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just put on my new high heat gasket last weekend.  I had completely fried the last 2 stock gaskets. Picked it up for $25, scraped all the charred bits of the cheap gasket off.  Used acetone to clean the rims off good.  Let it dry for a half hr., then carefully sprayed 3M 77 on.  I then worked the new gasket on carefully, and thus far I'm pretty pleased.  Only done 1 cook on it, about 400 degrees.  The test will come this weekend when I do a couple of pizzas for my guests...

• ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    Good job. I have one but have not put it on yet. I have been dreading it because it seems like a pain. Hopefully it won't be too bad.
  • BullhalseyBullhalsey Posts: 90
    It's really not that bad(cooler of cold beer helped).....I took the dome off, which is simple.  All in all, It took me about an hour.  But I'm glad to have done it, I was sick of the charred bits of the cheap stock gasket.  Take a Saturday evening and get it done...
  • ncbbqncbbq Posts: 257
    Will do. I think I will take the advice on the beer as well.
  • SkinnyVSkinnyV Posts: 2,799
    did the same, used alcohol no acetone and replaced with adhesive backed high heat from mothership. looks sharp we will see how she holds up. also put some on the ceramic cap as i noticed it snuffs the fire out faster.
    Seattle, WA