Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Salmon on the Egg?

QDudeQDude Posts: 468
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I will be doing burgers tonight at 450 degrees.  Can I do the salmon at the same time?  How long should it take?  As always, thanks for your help!

A northern Colorado Egghead since 2012!

XL and a Small BGE.

Comments

• BullhalseyBullhalsey Posts: 66
    I did salmon tonight on mine, but I used a cedar plank, cooks the salmon perfectly, smokes it nicely....i had my egg at about 400, cooked for 30 minutes.  Perfect.
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 7,547
    edited July 2012
    D@#^ I did tonight 2 pounds (3 pieces) salmon on a thin cedar plank with alder shavings for flavor.  They were marinated in brown sugar, maple syrup and kahlua, Only took me 15 minutes at 300F.  I would think 400F for 30 minutes would dry out the salmon unless they were very thick?
  • Sgt93Sgt93 Posts: 704
    375-400 about 10 -15 minutes. I can't imagine a half hour.
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A bunch of Webers - A bunch of accessories - Ceramic Grill Works 2-Tier 
    Follow me on Twitter & Instagram: @SSgt93
  • eggoeggo Posts: 392
    350ish til it oozes=done  Will be moist and delish.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • BullhalseyBullhalsey Posts: 66
    Mine were pretty thick cuts, yes
  • A2ZA2Z Posts: 99

@QDude  cook the salmon in a homemade foil tray.  Take heavy duty foil, fold to create a double thickness and fold the edges up about an inch to form a tray.  Season salmon fillets with your favorite and melt some butter to baste the top with as it cooks. 

Super easy and always good.  450 is a little warm, but it will work.  Pull the salmon when it oozes and flakes easily.  Biggest problem is overcooking. 

• mokadirmokadir Posts: 101
    Sorry for the hijack. With the plank, who would you raise the grid, or use plate setter?
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • tgklemantgkleman Posts: 192
    I cook to about 140 internal temp and then pull it off the grill.  It will go up a few degrees after you pull it off.  I tried it at 135 internal temp but the center was a little mushy and under-done.
  • JscottJscott Posts: 174

Sometimes I cook a nice filet with skin side down with nothing but olive oil and salt and pepper @ 350 until it begins to ooze, then I flip and turn the heat up to 400 and crust the skinless side.

I pull it off, take a fork and poke holes in the flesh and squeeze fresh lime juice over the top then finish it off with a fresh mango salsa. Fantastic and different!

• NortharrowNortharrow Posts: 39
    I now cook my Salmon on a Himalayan salt brick. 400 degrees, about 10 minutes per side. Marinade is lime-ginger-oyster sauce-peanut oil.
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,318

@QDude  cook the salmon in a homemade foil tray.  Take heavy duty foil, fold to create a double thickness and fold the edges up about an inch to form a tray. 

I have been doing it this way lately as well. I throw in some alder chips.
  • I do cedar, too.  Soak a couple hours, then put the plank on direct around 400F for 5 mins.  Flip it, put your salmon on (I like skin on, skin side down).  Like @jscott and @eggo say, until it starts to "ooze" - that's salmon fat!  Yum.  About 20 mins - and it's done!

This pic is from last week.  One with Dizzy Pig Tsunami Spin the other Raging River
    IMG_0912.JPG
    3264 x 2448 - 2M
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at http://familycookbookproject.com
  • 10Driver10Driver Posts: 88
    The "ooze" is protein. Albumin, to be precise, that coagulates during high temp cooking of the salmon.
  • Cymbaline65Cymbaline65 Posts: 610

To add to 10Driver's comment, the amount of visible Albumin can be reduced if you cook longer at a lower temp. It's strictly cosmetic and nothing to worry about. I do my salmon at 300-325 for 20-30 min on a plank (each piece 6oz or so).

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • tactical_66tactical_66 Posts: 195
    I do 375/400 on cedar or alder plank. Cook until 135/140 internal. Raised grid direct. I wanted a picture Ono the egg but my wife and kids beat me to it. We only use wild caught salmon. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • NewvilleNewville Posts: 84
    All the pics look awesome! How many cooks out of a cedar plank (approximate)?
  • jlsmjlsm Posts: 710
    A tip from Cook's Illustrated: Brine the salmon in a solution of 1 T salt per 1 C water for 10 minutes. It greatly reduces the albumin. 
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • stikestike Posts: 15,597
    use shingles, and you can just toss them.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JerkChickenJerkChicken Posts: 549
    What is the point of cedar planks? Is it just to add cedar taste to the fish?
    LBGE, Weber OTG w/ Rotisserie, Weber Genesis S-330, Chargriller Duo, AR-15, AK-47
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 10,788
    Most shingles and shake are beveled, might cook a little faster on the thin part, or you could put the thin part under the thickest part of the fish and slow down overcooking of the thin part of the fish.  Of just say F it and cook it.

edited July 2012
    it doesn't cook any faster.  shingle is thick enough to do the job one time.  i snip off the thin end only because it is 18" long. wood is an insulator.  the salmon isn't cooking from the heat below. it's roasting

i have been doing this for years.  there is no issue w/r/t thickness of the shingle

imageimage

edited July 2012
    @JC.  the smoke will flavor the fish.  i've heard wishful stories of the cedar somehow flavoring the fish by contact, but that really can't happen. especially with skin.  and certainly not thru its whole thickness.

the slightly resinous smoke (in my mind) helps counter the fattiness in the flavor. like acid can help cut sweetness in other things

the idea behind soaking it is to delay the smoke, because even though i think the smoke flavor 'works' with salmon, too much of it might be a bad thing. the salmon cooks about 20 minutes, and the smoke only kicks in around 10 minutes in.

That is a good idea.  I laugh whenever I see a 4 pack of planks at World Market or wherever, packaged for cooking that end up costing $30 a board foot.  Home depot is a better source.

edited July 2012
    a catalog mentioned that the williams sonoma ones were 'culinary grade'.  hmmm.  alrighty.

also have had dire warnings from people that cedar might be pressure treated.  well, never found pressure treated cedar anywhere.  fenceposts, etc.  stuff is naturally rot resistant.  they don't sell pressure treated cedar.

shingles MAY be treated with borates or other substances in order to be sold as 'fire retardant', but they are always marked as such (cedar industry is very strict about labeling).  these are undercourse shingles. no treatments, no chemicals.  i did the math once for cedar planks and you are right, was  bout 30 bucks a foot.  ridiculous.

all those in that one bundle were i think 8 bucks.  used them as shims for a porch project i built.  kept the better (knot free) ones for planking

• LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894

Ok, here is a loser moment, I thought shingles like 3 tab, remember I am in real estate. Then I thought now it can't be! L-)
    edited July 2012
    i'm in architecture.  three tab shingles are for cheapo builders (and apparently now real estate agents)
    :))
  • LizzieSampsLizzieSamps Posts: 894
    I sell residential. Unfortunately more than not houses have 3 tab or sometimes dimensional, I sold a home with a shake roof, and the buyers were so confused!
    everything is cheap these days.  no one buys a house to live in for more than maybe 7 years.  they all think they are going to move on, so no one builds with any quality, because they are just going to be selling it anyway.

vinyl siding, etc.  same crap.

used to be considered cheap, now it's the norm, and anything half decent is seen as a 'waste of money'. 

my whole side of the street used to have french tile roofs.  now, buyers see them, a little moss (moss on tile is not a bad thing) and demand they be torn off and a new three tab roof be put on. they tear off a hundred year roof, and put on a 15 year roof, and think because it's new it's better.

just venting
    >useless rant over<
    hahaha

I can make the assumption without being dishonest that consumers are generally clueless about what they're buying, real estate being a fairly complex purchase.  Not to rag on Lizzy, but in Stike's hood, the real-estate agent's job is to help the buyer understand a hundred year roof is a selling point, not a liability.   Especially since loping off a $60,000 roof and replacing it with a $7,000 roof devalues the property.  Unless, of course, it doesn't. 

Or maybe it's all about makin' money.  I like to think all those sub-prime loans were....nevahmind.

just for the record... not razzin on lizzie.  just bemoaning the cheapening of stuff.  it's why i got out of architecture.

but cheap stuff is everywhere, and people who only care about the cost, and not the value, pervade all areas of business.  which is why my rant is pointless and ALSO has no value.
    :)