Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New guy does pork shoulder for the first time

Options
2»

Comments

• JC_EggRookie
    Options
    I have found leaving it as whole as you can is better.Shredding it and freezing leaves it more susceptible to freezer burn. Food Saver will help a ton or do what I do and place a straw in the zip lock bag  and suck the air out yourself. My wife gets a kick out of that every time I do it, that's the only reason I haven't bought a FS yet. Leaving it in larger chunks offers more flexibility in how you can use the leftovers as well. My favorite is to fry it up in a cast iron pan and serve as smoked carnitas. 
    Still a Rookie after 3 years and always will be learnin'. Love my LBGE!
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    I pull the whole thing when I pull it. Any leftovers can go in the fridge if you want it that week or in the freezer for longer term storage. It heats up really well and there are many ways to do it. You can even dare I say nuke it. I've done it, it isn't optimal but it works. Sometimes we heat it up in a pot on the stove. Others vacuum pack it with a food saver to freeze. Then they heat up the package in boiling water. I haven't tried that because I don't have a food saver but it sounds like a good method. Glad you enjoyed it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legs Up with drip pan under your butt.
    @cantex. you sounded like a mid-wife
    =))

Ha! Usually I'm on the forefront of sniffing out double entendre. This one didn't even hit my radar!
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    I have found leaving it as whole as you can is better.Shredding it and freezing leaves it more susceptible to freezer burn. Food Saver will help a ton or do what I do and place a straw in the zip lock bag  and suck the air out yourself. My wife gets a kick out of that every time I do it, that's the only reason I haven't bought a FS yet. Leaving it in larger chunks offers more flexibility in how you can use the leftovers as well. My favorite is to fry it up in a cast iron pan and serve as smoked carnitas. 
    Instead of the straw you can fill your kitchen sink about halfway up with water then submerge the ziploc right up to the seal line in the water. The water will force all the air out then you just seal the bag, obviously being careful not to let any water over the top. It works very well as a poor man's foodsaver. 
    XL BGE