Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

French Fries

joe317
joe317 Posts: 28
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Anyone find a good technique for cooking frozen french fries on the egg?

I've tried a couple of times making them the same time I'm making hamburgers or brats (direct cook). I've tried wrapping them in foil and placing them on the grate over the fire. Typically when I do this they come out a little soggy or burnt. I've also tried wrapping them in foil and placing them off to the side near the edge of the grill, but then usually they turn out to still be cold after 20 - 30 minutes at 450 F.

I'm thinking the best method would be to get a half moon stone that I could cook the fries on directly while the burgers or brats are cooking. Other ideas? Someone's sure to have solved this dilemma by now.

Comments

• ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    edited July 2012
    By wrapping them, you're not allowing the steam to escape as they thaw, which will prevent them from crisping up. Try cooking them raised, direct, on a mesh screen, or even just a sheet of aluminum foil, laying flat, at the temperature that is called for on the bag/box.

You can also cook them on a pizza stone, which seems to work better for steak fries.
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • We toss ours in grapeseed oil and "fry" them on a cast iron griddle. About 25 minutes at 400. Terrific! We also just made frozen hash browns in cast iron over indirect with chopped peppers and onions and grapeseed. Fried eggs and bacon- great breakfast!!
  • Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    I have a hard time understanding why anyone even eats frozen fries ... not for me thanks!
    Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Use fresh potatoes and use your Wok.  Put some oil in it and fry the french fries.

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Squeezy said:

I have a hard time understanding why anyone even eats frozen fries ... not for me thanks!

Agreed.

Steak cut some fresh ones, raised direct right on the grate. Personally I don't add any additional oils. Just salt and pepper.

• joe317
    joe317 Posts: 28
    I too like homemade fries the best. But when you have 3 teenagers who eat like there's no tomorrow, it's nice to have frozen around for something quick.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    cook them in a nonstick pan indirect to the package cooking instructions (for a timeline, it may take longer). My kids love chicken nuggets, tator tots, fish sticks, all that crap. I make them fresh stuff thats ten times better, and they still want the frozen stuff?!?! Any way, I do it in a non stick pan direct raised (this will take less time than package describes) or I do them direct without a pan (breading will take on the charcoal flavor with out pan so leftovers may not be so good).  You may not want to use a stone you use for breads and dough because it will absorb the grease from your stone. just my .02.
  • Agreed that fresh is way better than frozen, but sometimes time restraints call for frozen...