Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking in a Cast Iron Skillet

bob3808
bob3808 Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in Baking
Had a BGE-L for about a week. Tonight fired it up to make some lamb and after supper my wife wanted to put some dessert in it. It's a large cookie that bakes in a cast iron skillet .... batter and chocolate ... basically  a big choc chip cookie. She usually bakes it at 350 for about 12 minutes. I stabilized the BGE at 350 and used the plate setter figuring that would basically make the BGE more like an oven. Anyway, after 12 minutes it had hardly set up and I'm left wondering what I did incorrectly. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    we have done a couple bakes in the egg they do seem to take a bit longer but its far better than the oven our most recent here http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1141190/griffins-pineapple-upside-down-cake#latest pineapple cake in a cast iron pan . remember if the dome temp says 350 at the grid its less by 25 or more degrees until everything stabilizes i toss a probe on the grid and go by that temp at cooking level for baking 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    edited July 2012
    350 dome would be about 300 at the grid on my LBGE.  Next time settle the egg in at 400 and I bet you are right on the money.  Wilson's grub had one on here about a week or two ago.  It turned out great.

Good Luck.
  • bob3808
    bob3808 Posts: 2
    Thanks. Still getting used to the LBGE and I had not run into the temp differential issue before. I'll bet it was 50 degrees cooler on the grid than in the dome so no wonder it wasn't setting up. Thanks!

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

Here's a chocolate peanut butter chocolate chip cookie I did last week. Took about 40 minutes at 375.

http://griffinsgrub.wordpress.com/2012/06/28/cast-iron-peanut-butter-chocolate-chip-cookie/

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    Dumb question here.  Should the platesetter legs be up or down for baking in this manner?  In the picture it looks like the legs are down.  Is that correct?
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • bigphil
    edited July 2012
    i've done mine legs down grid on top and the cast pan right on the grid 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • dweebs0r
    That seems easier since I dont have the little feet to put under my pan.  Thanks.
  • bigphil
    edited July 2012
    sorry i meant legs up and grid on top . time for some coffee i think 
    That seems easier since I dont have the little feet to put under my pan.  Thanks.

• 3under
    3under Posts: 19
    I was just reading this post when the wife says I want something sweet. Well now there is a cookie on the grill. I made griffins pineapple upsidedown cake last weekend w/o cherrys,awsome. Here is a pic of the cake
  • Griffin

Dweeb - legs down and 3 green feet under the skillet.

3under -great looking cake. Glad you enjoyed it. Think I'll have some cookies coing on the egg after dinner.

Rowlett, Texas

• 3under
    3under Posts: 19
    thanks griffin for your blog. Cookie turned out great although I made it in An 8 in skillet not 10.
  • dweebs0r
    edited July 2012
    Just finished the cake.  I dont have the little green feet so I baked the cake with the plate setter legs up and grid on top.  Used a thermometer and kept the grate temp at around 400 the whole time.  Maybe should've dialed that back a little.

A teeeny bit burned around the edges where it went over the side of the cast iron skillet (not a deep skillet).

Overall turned out good.  Really great taste.  Done all the way through.  Not the prettiest cake I have ever made but its tasty!

I want to do the cookie next weekend.

Attached are a couple of progress pics.  A starting pic and the end result.  I grabbed one final pic but there is a large slice taken out of the cake so I left that one off.  :)  

Thanks to Griffin for the inspiration and the recipe.
  • Griffin

Great looking cookie, 3 under.

It might now be pretty, dweebs, but I know it tasted good. I feel bad that people are giving me credit for it, though. I got it from Lake Conroe Egger's wife. I don't know if he posts on this board, or just the other one. Actually I don't even know if he posts anymore. I just did a search for the cake and her recipe came up. She should get the credit.

Rowlett, Texas