Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork shoulder is on the egg

Options
chuff
chuff Posts: 255
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Being in the west I'm running a little bit behind the rest of the overnighters, but I'm doing a pork shoulder tonight.

Straight out of the package

Rubbed with love

Not the best photo in the dark, but it's on the egg

Now I just have to make sure the temp is stable so I can hit the rack.
XL BGE

Comments

• DocWonmug
    DocWonmug Posts: 300
    Options
    How many pounds is that bad boy?
    LBGE
  • chuff
    Options
    It started out 8.9 pounds. I was having a little trouble regulating the temp last night so I was a little worried about what I was going to wake up to. I set an alarm for 0800 and proceeded to sleep right through it. I must have been more tired than I thought. Luckily my wife finally woke me up at 9:30, but all of my worry was unnecessary. The egg was holding steady at 245 grid temp when I checked it and the shoulder appears to be in the stall. Things aren't going too bad so far. Here's hoping for a strong finish.

I opened the lid for a quick peek.

XL BGE
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice looking shoulder (just can't bring myself to say say "nice looking butt" to a dude)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ribnrun
    ribnrun Posts: 174
    Options
    I have a 7lb butt that stalled for 3 hours. It needs to finish, so I crutched it and bumped temp to 325 dome. I hate wrapping it, but I needs to eat!
  • chuff
    Options
    I just pulled the shoulder off of the egg. So tender that I had a tough time transferring it in one piece. Sadly a small piece stuck to the grid and pulled off the shoulder, so I was forced to eat it. A true tragedy, but I sampled it like a trooper. Tasted fantastic. She's wrapped and in a cooler right now waiting for my wife to get home from work.

Here it is ready to come off the egg

And off the egg ready to be wrapped in foil

One or two more to come after I pull it.
    XL BGE
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    Very good. Looks like a winner. Enjoy.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    You did a great job!  @chuff  Is that a bone in?
  • chuff
    Options
    Sadly, no. I couldn't find one anywhere. They all gave me the same answer. All of their customers want boneless, so that's all they stock anymore. I haven't checked the Mexican markets yet though. They'll probably be my last best hope.
    XL BGE