Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Damper

Options
SmoothSmoke
SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
I'm doing my first low and slow on the egg.  I've got the dampers almost shut and it's at 290F dome temperature.  How much more can I close it without snuffing the fire?  I want to get the temp down to 250-260F if possible. 

Comments

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    When I do low and slow I look for around 250. I usually close the bottom vent to about an 1/8", put the dual function metal top on and close the sliding part. Then I just rotate the daisy wheel thing to where the holes are about half open. That is what works for me. Then you can make minor adjustments as necessary. Be aware that the adjustments can take up to 30 minutes to take effect so try not to fiddle with it too much or you will be chasing the temperature up and down the whole cook. You do not need to be dead on your target temperature +/- 10 degrees or so will not hurt anything. If you can get it to settle in and be consistent some where close to your target, leave it alone, sit back and have a beverage and let the egg work its magic.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    The pictures weren't showing when I first posted. It looks like you are about where I would have it set. You can go down to about 1/8" on the bottom vent so you could probably close it a tad more if you want it to cool down some.

• SmoothSmoke
    SmoothSmoke Posts: 141
    Options
    I think I'm just going to let it ride as is.  But definitely need to know more for the next time around.  Looks like it settled down at 275F or so right now.  That's perfectly fine.  I was worried that the damper top would not create enough of a draw where creosote may build up?   Thanks ncbbq. 
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Also once you put the meat on and PS in it will drop in temp! Good luck!