Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lizzie's overnight brisket fun time

Comments

• When you determine it's ready, if you are going to hold it for dinner, just use plenty of towels in the cooler. It will hold for many hours.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Not fork twisty.
  • LizzieSamps
    I don't think it is like butter so leaving it on a while. On the point it is but not the flat.
  • I don't think it is like butter so leaving it on a while. On the point it is but not the flat.

Let it ride. Check it every half hour or 5 degrees.
  • Also, if you really are going to wait for dinner, you can slow boat the finish by taking the egg temp down to around 200. You can get an extra hour or 2 out of it before FTC.
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok, will do,  Thanks @Cen-Tex you have been very patient with me!
  • Ok, will do,  Thanks @Cen-Tex you have been very patient with me!

It's been well worth it for the photos alone!

You are really close and you've done everything perfectly. It should be awesome. What did you use for rub?
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Temp held a perfect 260 dome overnight but internal temp was unfortunately 204 by the time I checked it at exactly 12 hours. May have over cooked it.... Wrapped and put upside down in cooler...
  • Temp held a perfect 260 dome overnight but internal temp was unfortunately 204 by the time I checked it at exactly 12 hours. May have over cooked it.... Wrapped and put upside down in cooler...
    Nah man, you are probably OK. The rest will do it good. Should be OK

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    edited July 2012
    As Cen-Tex mentioned, the brisket temperature driver is the flat-point will cook faster but with all the fat it's fine just riding along til the flat gets finished.  And once you see somewhere in the low 190's-time to start frequently checking. Probe in and out like butter in the flat-Home Free!  Enjoy.  Congrats to all who made the journey-you are about to be rewarded big time.  Now Lizzie may need a new phone, set of gloves and a battery for her headlight, but what a great sport :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Sounds like you guys had a blast last night. I wish I did an overnight cook with you. I hope everyone enjoys their briskets and hope to hear how they came out. It is raining here today so not sure if I will do any egging. If I do it is only going to be burgers. Boring, I know.
  • And I hear the perfect cure for singed arm hair is a big fat brisket sammy

:))

• Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hello All,
    Glad to hear you guys are all coming up roses, that's awesome. No such luck here, I woke up to a cold Egg (wah, wah). Cracked it open, no more lump. I think I can salvage the cook, but I have to wait until the store opens at 11 to get some more lump. Not perfect, but I consider any cook I can eventually eat and also learn something from to be successful. Worst case scenario I've got that spatchcock chicken all ready for a quick cook this afternoon.

Cheers -
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Hello All,
    Glad to hear you guys are all coming up roses, that's awesome. No such luck here, I woke up to a cold Egg (wah, wah). Cracked it open, no more lump. I think I can salvage the cook, but I have to wait until the store opens at 11 to get some more lump. Not perfect, but I consider any cook I can eventually eat and also learn something from to be successful. Worst case scenario I've got that spatchcock chicken all ready for a quick cook this afternoon.

Cheers -
    B_B
    bummer but it should be ok. Just fire it up and finish it. Some of the best butts I ever made the fire went out and I had to restart etc. Never really seemed to affect them in a bad way
  • LizzieSamps
    I used the Dizzy Dust Coarse Grind.  Still in egg.  Not like butter yet all over, in some places yes, but not all over.
  • Let it ride a little more. Also, you guys let me know if you need help slicing it. There is a trick to it. Not hard, just different than anything else.
  • ncbbq
    Singed hair reminds me of an egg cook. I was cooking ribeyes at high temp, I flipped one and the grease went down in to the lump and through up a flame as tall as me. Singed a little of the hair on my head, one of my sideburns and an eye brow. Egging, always an adventure. The wife got a good chuckle out of that one.
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok this is where we are at. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos.

Think it is time to come off?
  • Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Looks great!! Mine is still resting but regardless, this pasta salad my wife makes is to die for...

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2012
    Looks like a point temp-the driver is the flat-if you are in fact in the thick part of the flat and no probe resistance then finished-but go for temp in the flat-BTW-isn't that a slow thermapen based on color :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LizzieSamps
    Let it ride a little more. Also, you guys let me know if you need help slicing it. There is a trick to it. Not hard, just different than anything else.
    Trick?  Oh no!

@Lousubcap,  yup that is the flat.  But not as soft as I would like,, I think my fire is going to die soon too!  Just a few chunks left down there and not any smoke rising.  Maybe it's already dead.

• LizzieSamps
    Looks great!! Mine is still resting but regardless, this pasta salad my wife makes is to die for... Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    That looks good, and I love the house, ya know real estate is my first love!   :x
  • ncbbq
    That's a nice looking bark you got there Lizzie. I bet it is going to be great. I am also interested to hear about the slicing trick. The only thing I know about is cut against the grain thing. Curious to hear if there is something else to know for future reference. I have also heard that the grain is tricky in the point. Please give us brisket newbs any advice you have.
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok, the brisket is FTC'd.  My hubby took the younger boys out of the house.  NOW, it is chill time, maybe a nap a few drinks!!  I thought I would be cooking this meat all day.  So weird you just can't put a time on anything!  It really is ready when it is ready!  

I'll be watching for the slicing trick!
  • Pull it.
  • LizzieSamps
    That's the trick to pull it like PP WHAT!!!???
  • lousubcap
    edited July 2012
    Pull it off the BGE-and you know all about FTC-so, when ready to eat/inhale I would seperate the point from the flat and then slice against the grain.  Easy with the flat as the grain is consistent ('bout the only consistent part of this...).  Now for the point, same challenge-against the grain-but it can run in several directions so give it your best shot-BTW-best flavor with the point-but Cen-Tex will confirm.  "Know fat, know flavor, no fat, no flavor".  Not original but you get the flavor :)   Great cook-you are running out of "time to jump-into BGE adventures"-as long as you have power for the light you are definitely good to go! :)>-
  • That's the trick to pull it like PP WHAT!!!???

No! Pull it off the egg its done.

• LizzieSamps
    Right, right,  sorry not much sleep!  How did you get your temp issue under control?
  • Right, right,  sorry not much sleep!  How did you get your temp issue under control?

Brute force :)