Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lizzie's overnight brisket fun time

Comments

• Rubmyrock
    Rubmyrock Posts: 266
    Love the pic!! Mine is on, injected and rubbed but forgot to trim. The fat cap? Is this a problem?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    crap now dome is 310 should I try to bring it down, it will drop with the mean on right?
  • Love the pic!! Mine is on, injected and rubbed but forgot to trim. The fat cap? Is this a problem? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

nah, you ar ok. I prefer trimmed but not a deal killer
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170

Fat cap provides more flavor-given you did not trim-just be mindful of it when ready to slice.  You can remove it then and all should be fine.   

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I am quite the BBQ site, let me tell you!! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

It's official. You are a badass
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    crap now dome is 310 should I try to bring it down, it will drop with the mean on right?
    It will drop when you put the meat on, but if stable at 310 prior to opening the dome, it will go back up eventually.  Need to adjust it down a bit.  
    It will drop when you put the meat on, but if stable at 310 prior to opening the dome, it will go back up eventually.  Need to adjust it down a bit.  

perfect
  • Rubmyrock
    Cen tex, is this set up ok. Plate setter legs up, drip pan, fire bricks on top of drip pan, then grate then grate extension on with brisket on top of grate extension.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    310 is a perfect dome temp for starting a brisket. Also, I am in love with that pic of the head lamp and gloves.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Well....the Woodford Double Oaked has made an appearance. I figure if I'm going to be up all night chasing his fire (no gasket) I may as well be happy. I may be hung over... but not tonight :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    Time for me to to get off this grid-gotta get some things done Sunday.  But if this continues like the launch you could be on CNN (or SportsCenter) before the finish-line.  And as always-enjoy this journey:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • LizzieSamps
    OK- we are a bit of a mess over here too. My gasket is totally fried and I can't keep temp down. I have just loosened every bolt on my hinge and smashed my dome down. still not great but a little better. Still the silver medalist compared to Lizzie though!
    Do you have a controller that will keep it down for you?
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    My wife works for apple. I can assure that is definitely NOT covered. :)) Glad it's still working. They really will take a pretty solid beating.
    XL BGE
  • OK- we are a bit of a mess over here too. My gasket is totally fried and I can't keep temp down. I have just loosened every bolt on my hinge and smashed my dome down. still not great but a little better. Still the silver medalist compared to Lizzie though!
    Do you have a controller that will keep it down for you?

Controller????? Hell no. But it would not work anyway with this air gap. As normal, I'm making all this up as I go. So far so good. I'm sure the bourbon will make it all make sense in the end
  • LizzieSamps
    Just put it on! It did not fit, had to sort of fold it over a little. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Just put it on! It did not fit, had to sort of fold it over a little. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

ok- it works
  • mine is on too. Bottom door open 1/8" and daisy closed. temp still climbing. good times.
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Cen tex duct tape it closed you don't need to peek ;-) good luck
    Lynnwood WA
  • Black_Badger
    Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
    Hello All,
    Glad to be a member of the first timers club tonight, and also glad to see even the old pros have to improvise some times. Good luck to all.

So far, so good for me. Running a little hot since the start (325F), so I just closed down the door a bit (from ~3/4" to ~3/8"). My only real concern is that I was running low on lump before I started (this cook was a last minute decision and didn't have time to get more tonight...). I figure worst case scenario I can always finish in the oven, but that would be a bummer.

Cen-Tex, would you be better off removing the fried gasket all together? I've seen folks on this forum talk about doing just that and getting a good seal with NO gasket. Just a thought.

Loving being a part of this whole mess...

Cheers all,
    B_B
    Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI
  • Cen tex duct tape it closed you don't need to peek ;-) good luck

:
    Cen tex duct tape it closed you don't need to peek ;-) good luck

) I've thought about it!
  • LizzieSamps
    edited July 2012
    Strange went out to check on it and it had dropped to 200. What???!! Thought maybe my fire was out but no, gave it more air, I hope it is not like this all night!
  • Rubmyrock
    Holding steady at 250 dome....

• Strange went out to check on it and it had dropped to 200. What???!! Thought maybe my fire was out but no, gave it more air, I hope it is not like this all night!

OK- here is where many newbs go sideways. you are officially in the chase (and that is not a good thing). only make very small adjustments or you will be chansing this all night. The problem with this is that even small adjustments can take 30-45 minutes to be fully realized at low temps. you are going to have to use the force and get your temp dialed i. Get your dome to 260-275 ASAP and go to bed (once you think it's stable).
  • LizzieSamps
    Ok, made some adjustments will check again in 15-20 mins
  • Ok, made some adjustments will check again in 15-20 mins

OK- Keep the adjustments very small and when you reach the end of the road, make your best judgement call and go to bed. You have this in the bag, just keep the adjustments small.
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Best of luck Lizzie, had a beautiful cook today, temp stayed 250-290 from start to finish, very minute changes only....wish you luck!
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • LizzieSamps
    ok 2AM and holding at 270-280 will watch for awhile and go to bed

• ok 2AM and holding at 270-280 will watch for awhile and go to bed

If that is dome temp, you are golden. I'm over 300 (257 grid) with the draft door and daisy totally shut. this could go sideways but I'm done. woodford has taken it's toll and time for bed. good luck all overnighters and we'll check in in the morning.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    ok 2AM and holding at 270-280 will watch for awhile and go to bed

If that is dome temp, you are golden. I'm over 300 (257 grid) with the draft door and daisy totally shut. this could go sideways but I'm done. woodford has taken it's toll and time for bed. good luck all overnighters and we'll check in in the morning.
    wuss
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    That's it. I'm doing a brisket this week. 
    XL BGE