Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last Minute Brisket

Options
Black_Badger
Black_Badger Posts: 1,182
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hello All,
I'm tempting fate and trying my first brisket after a last minute buy at the butcher shop (went for a chicken, came home with a chicken & a brisket). This is a little one, just over 5 # and has the point and flat. I was surprised they had a whole brisket this small, but that definitely what it is. I have it seasoned up now and am getting the egg going while it rests. My question is, if I want to eat this in 15 hrs or so what sort of temp should I go for? I'm thinking to try and keep it going through the night at around 200 and see where i am in the morning. Any suggestions?

Thanks for the help all -
B_B
Finally back in the Badger State!

Middleton, WI

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Don't know how your BGE behaves at around 200*F-but most (mine included) are problematic at that temperature.  (all temps here refer to a calibrated dome thermo).  The general "sweet-spot" for most BGE's is somewhere around 250*F on the dome.  I would stabilize it in that ball-park and if finished early then use the FTC (foil, towel and cooler) to hold it for a good 4 hours before slicing and consuming. But just an opinion and we all know what those are worth-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Actually, I completely agree, I've struggled to keep it that low in the past and I don't want it to die out over night. How long might i expect a 5# brisket to take if I go 250 dome w/ a calibrated thermo?

Thanks guys, I really appreciate it

B_B

Middleton, WI
  • lousubcap
    Options

If you run 250+/- 20 (I would lean toward the +20 number) on the dome I routinely see around 1.8-2 hrs/# for brisket flats.  Key is to catch it when a probe slides in and out of the thickest part of the flat w/o any resistance.  Enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Here's a pic of what I'm starting with. Might give it one more heavy dose of rub before we meet the heat...

Middleton, WI
  • Black_Badger
    Options
    Much appreciated lousubcap, she's on and rockin' now. In addition to my first brisket, this is my first cook with my new adjustable rig combo from Ceramic Grill Store. I've got the stone under the drip pan for indirect and the little brisket up at the top of the adjustable rig. I threw a handful of soaked apple wood chips on just before the brisket and have the top down now. Chasing temp (down) just a little bit, but have full expectations for an awesome unveiling come morning. I'll circle back to let you all know how things turned out.

Also just spatchcocked my first chicken and have that soaking up some rub in the ridge until tomorrow. A weekend of firsts, gotta love it...

Cheers all -
    B_B

Middleton, WI
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Good luck will be watching since that sounds like the 1st brisket I came home with today, long story!  
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @BB-at the risk of stating the obvious-don't chase temperatures. +/- 20*F on a low&slow is meaningless-just make sure everything is stable before you get some sleep. Even if you think its "dialed in" just think';  a 1/10 *F change will be 20*F in a bit over three hours.  Enjoy the journey and welcome!
  • Dave in Florida
    Dave in Florida Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Here's a pic of what I'm starting with. Might give it one more heavy dose of rub before we meet the heat...
    You are off in the right direction.  That John Henry's is some good stuff.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!