Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mother-in -Law help

Options
eggteeth
eggteeth Posts: 52
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Drunk as we speak, but for the next two days:

What do you recommend cooking on the Egg, based on the following criteria:

1)  Time to spend away from said MIL, cooking and drinking.

2) Taste.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    Whatever she is allergic to or doesn't like. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    Ok,  you are looking to spend your whole weekend outside with libations in hand and making delicious food?  
    Well the low and slows do not require you to be out there monitoring the entire time, so I would do more hot and fast cooks, that do require you to spend more time being a watcher. 

So you could start the day cooking breakfast sausage sliders, maybe some egg casseroles, or whatever you eat, then by the time all is eaten you can switch to prepping and cooking for lunch, now you should have several drinks in by then so maybe a nap will be in order.  You can say that you need more lump, but you might need a driver! 

After the nap, then it will be time to prep and prepare dinner and dessert.  After drinking all day, you can call it a day and go to bed early.  Your mother-in-law will feel obligated to clean all the dishes, after all you cook and slaved over your cooker all day!  Good luck!  
  • Daveh1976
    Daveh1976 Posts: 62
    Options
    Cook a pork butt for 16 hours.  Tell her you have to tender the fire constantly.  "These egg things need constant adjustment." :))
  • eggteeth
    Options
    Ha Lizzie.  You scratch me where I itch.  As I speak she is spinning a yarn about how tough she has it, which by simply listening, I can relate.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Mine is at my house as we speak. We did 5 pizzas (very fast paced, running in and out). Then I was so hot (it was a hundo here today) that I had to take #2 son down to the pool and wrestle/throw the football around for an hour. Then watched a movie, poured a double (tripple) woodford and came upstairs to regale you lovely people with my witty stories :))
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Options
    Mine is here as well, spend it on the porch watching smoke waft from the egg with a near constant flow of beverages....when it starts to get to be too much, oooh, better go check the egg temp, food temp, refill beverage, etc
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options
    Just make them think it is alot of work,and the will feel obligated to help with the clean up because you are working so hard to provide the best food you can!  ( make sure wifey is in on this)..........it works for me!  Good luck!  It should not be too hard. I am planning the same strategy for when my MIL shows up!!  Please let me know if you think my strategy is flawed please!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Options

Forgot to mention, it worked the last time.I just don't want her to figure it out!!!!!!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options

Great suggestions above-but another plus is to make sure the "significant other" is not aware of how much true effort it takes to tend to the BGE once it's rolling along.  Much to be said for the escape clause provided by the "advertised need" to monitor, tweak and periodically adjust during the journey.  Matters not the true level of effort (or lack thereof) but the time, distance and shielding from other distractions is worth it.  At least where I reside.  Enjoy the journey

:)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gatorBGE
    edited July 2012
    Options
    wife knows, wife agrees, MIL does most of kitchen clean-up....it's a beautiful thing

we cook, she cleans
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • hopkinsusmc87
    Options
    Whatever she is allergic to or doesn't like. 
    =))
  • tnbarbq
    tnbarbq Posts: 248
    Options
    Do a pork butt and a brisket.  The two combined are easily a 24 hour cook.
    Scooter 
    Mid TN. Hangin' in the 'Boro. MIM Judge
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Options
    Put in ear plugs and tell her that getting smoke in your ears bothers you. Then spend the weekend saying "what" "ha"

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Put in ear plugs and tell her that getting smoke in your ears bothers you. Then spend the weekend saying "what" "ha"
    good god you are not kidding......................

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Options
    So @eggteeth, how is it going so far?
  • gatorBGE
    Options
    we finished dinner, a butt, some slaw and beans, and i retreated to the basement to wait out the rest of the night
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    we finished dinner, a butt, some slaw and beans, and i retreated to the basement to wait out the rest of the night

atta boy. Stay strong. I've found it's better to take the bottle down with you. That way there is less chance of and encounter with said MIL. besides, If she sees you pouring a drink every 8 minutes (may be less in some houses but just going by what I know) she will start telling your wife you drink too much (not realizing it's situational based on pesence of MIL) . Nobody needs that. Nobody
  • gatorBGE
    Options
    I shall prevail!
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • eggteeth
    Options
    Great.  She agreed to watch the kids so we could go on a rare "date".  Went to Old Chicago, pounded a calzone and a few pints.  Followed it up by seeing the movie "Ted".  TERRIBLE, although Mila Kunis was eggcellent.  Time constraints forced me to try a roast (no Tri-tip available).  Horrible.  I kind of thought it might be so I bought some steaks as backup.  Blazed them up, drinking beer by the bonfire, AND she leaves in the morning.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    Reminds me of the quote-"If you have your choice between lucky and good, take lucky every time!"
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.