Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

It's Friday, and I can't think of a good reason NOT to cook a brisket. (Picture Heavy)

Options
2»

Comments

• michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    @JKL

It is the adjustable rid/woo 2 combo from the CGS

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/xl-woo2-adjustable-rig-combo/

Make sure to add the xl slide guide and the round drip pan. It totals about $280 with shipping.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Here is what was left of it after a few minutes. I will say that it was moist, the bark was great and ridiculously flavorful, however I didn't get the smoke ring that I was looking for and I smoked the hell out of it. Overall for me I would call it mediocre, certainly a learning experience and I will be trying to do another soon. I feel like the oil may have prevented some of the smoke from penetrating the meat, and I didn't give her much time to sit in the fridge between rubbing and cooking. All in all it was fun and I will try to improve with every attempt.

J

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Ohh yea, I forgot to mention where I feel that I made the biggest mistake....

This thing came off the grill when the thermapen read 190 in some areas and in the tender most point of the meat it read 214! So I feel that I overcooked it (went to neighbors and came back to DIGIQ yelling at me.) Then, my wife forgot to make the slaw and potatoes so I foiled and put in the microwave to sit. It say for 2 hours lol. So not only was it cooked to 214 in some areas, it sat for 2 hours after that.

That said, I know where I can improve next time and look forward to a home run. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lose the oil next time. If you must use a binder, use mustard or Worcestershire. they will both evaporate and give you better bark.  I don't normally get smoke rings either FWIW.

214 in the point is not uncommon when getting the flat up to 190 or 195. It does not hurt it. It's the flat that would get killed at 214. Don't ever measure temp in the point, you need to make sure the flat is tender throughout (usually around 195 for me).

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Options
    I think it looks really good though. Everyone is their own worst critic. I sure would like to have a slice right about now. I need to step up my hunt for a whole packer. Pork is king in NC so the grocery stores only carry little cut up pieces of brisket or small flats. I have had decent results with the flats but I think I could do much better with a whole packer.
  • michigan_jason
    Options
    The people who ate it said it was good, flavorful, and juicy. I am very critical of my bbq though, its as I'd I expect perfection regardless or circumstance.

John, this was a sams club choice flat.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Ok, meat is at 135, grill locked at 260, I'm off to meet a buddy for a few beers and will update when I get back.

Ohh yea, this stuff isn't bad...

Plus on the Woody. Bourbon that is. Lol
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The people who ate it said it was good, flavorful, and juicy. I am very critical of my bbq though, its as I'd I expect perfection regardless or circumstance. John, this was a sams club choice flat.
    Don't get discouraged. Flats are just hard to get right. I keep telling myself I'm going to do one just to see if I can help out but I can't bring myself to buy one. I will literally buy pork shoulder over a flat if that's all I can get. I'm sure there are tons of guys better and smarter than me that can get flats right every time. I can't.

That being said, when you do get one right, it's like a hole in one in golf. You keep going back and chasing because it's so good you just can't resist. Brisket (especially flat) is a fickle mistress.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jai-Bo
    Jai-Bo Posts: 584
    Options
    heck when cooking a brisket, your ole lady might make you wash the cars, clean the house and build the kids a tree house if you keep this up!!!   It all looks good, great job!
    Hunting-Fishing-Cookin' on my EGG! Nothing else compares!