Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just got my large BGE!

Options
dweebs0r
dweebs0r Posts: 539
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got my large Egg and nest home and set up.  My dealer had already assembled this for me but we took it off the nest for transport home.  Should the little rubber caps be left on the nest or will they melt?

Thanks!
-D
   -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).

Comments

• gatorBGE
    gatorBGE Posts: 81
    Options
    Sorry, I can't answer, I have a table, but wanted to say welcome.  You'll love it!  Lots of knowledgeable folks here and I'm sure you'll get an answer soon.
    Large Egg October 2011
    MiniMax December 2014
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Options
    welcome to the obsession your love the egg 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,384
    Options

Welcome to the cult-if you are posting here you are beyond mere club status. Be careful of the Kool-Aid.  Lots of people willing to help with any issues.  Search function pretty weak, but if you use google and add big green egg to your query you will likely have decent results.

WRT your question about the rubber caps on the nest-mine are still there-no issues.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • the_alchemist83
    the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
    edited July 2012
    Options
    Welcome to the club!  Rubber cabs are on mine, 2 weeks & 6 cooks later no problems here.
  • tdeater
    tdeater Posts: 38
    Options
    Mine have been on until I built a table and shrine to my BGE.
  • dweebs0r
    Options
    Called the dealer and he said to leave them on to protect the finish.  Been working all afternoon building fires and playing with temp control.  Just about to start my first cook.  Just burgers for lunch, tenderloin for dinner, and a pork butt tonight to cook slowly.  Wish me luck!

• lousubcap
    Options
    Depending on the size and cook temp or your butt cook-'tonight" could stretch to sunrise and beyond.  Enjoy the journey-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • dweebs0r
    Options
    Its a small butt at ~ 6 lbs.  I prepped it with small amount of olive oil and rub and its been in the frig all night.  Just pulled it out of the frig to rest to room temp.  I will small pics of the butt cook.  I am considering the burgers and tenderloins trial runs and the butt will be my first test.
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Its a small butt at ~ 6 lbs.  I prepped it with small amount of olive oil and rub and its been in the frig all night.  Just pulled it out of the frig to rest to room temp.  I will small pics of the butt cook.  I am considering the burgers and tenderloins trial runs and the butt will be my first test.
    In the grand mosaic of home BBQ most don't worry about the smoke ring-but if you do, then the ring forms during the time the target meat is below around 140*F-for info.  Now with regard to smoke flavor-smoke with adhere to the meat surface as long as both the meat and smoke are present.  Enjoy the journey.