Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It feels as though we’ve waited forever for college football to start, and finally the wait is over! Check out our tailgating page for recipes that are sure to become fan favorites. As an added bonus, the day before Labor Day is National Bacon Day and we don’t know about you, but we like putting bacon on anything and everything, so we’ll definitely be celebrating that. It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Just got my large BGE!

dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 492
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Just got my large Egg and nest home and set up.  My dealer had already assembled this for me but we took it off the nest for transport home.  Should the little rubber caps be left on the nest or will they melt?

Thanks!
-D
-Jody Newell (LBGE & finally a mini BGE!)

Comments

• gatorBGEgatorBGE Posts: 73
    Sorry, I can't answer, I have a table, but wanted to say welcome.  You'll love it!  Lots of knowledgeable folks here and I'm sure you'll get an answer soon.
  • bigphilbigphil Posts: 1,357
    welcome to the obsession your love the egg 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 4,962

Welcome to the cult-if you are posting here you are beyond mere club status. Be careful of the Kool-Aid.  Lots of people willing to help with any issues.  Search function pretty weak, but if you use google and add big green egg to your query you will likely have decent results.

WRT your question about the rubber caps on the nest-mine are still there-no issues.

Louisville
  • the_alchemist83the_alchemist83 Posts: 84
    edited July 2012
    Welcome to the club!  Rubber cabs are on mine, 2 weeks & 6 cooks later no problems here.
  • tdeatertdeater Posts: 29
    Mine have been on until I built a table and shrine to my BGE.
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 492
    Called the dealer and he said to leave them on to protect the finish.  Been working all afternoon building fires and playing with temp control.  Just about to start my first cook.  Just burgers for lunch, tenderloin for dinner, and a pork butt tonight to cook slowly.  Wish me luck!

Depending on the size and cook temp or your butt cook-'tonight" could stretch to sunrise and beyond.  Enjoy the journey-
    Louisville
  • dweebs0rdweebs0r Posts: 492
    Its a small butt at ~ 6 lbs.  I prepped it with small amount of olive oil and rub and its been in the frig all night.  Just pulled it out of the frig to rest to room temp.  I will small pics of the butt cook.  I am considering the burgers and tenderloins trial runs and the butt will be my first test.
    Its a small butt at ~ 6 lbs.  I prepped it with small amount of olive oil and rub and its been in the frig all night.  Just pulled it out of the frig to rest to room temp.  I will small pics of the butt cook.  I am considering the burgers and tenderloins trial runs and the butt will be my first test.
    In the grand mosaic of home BBQ most don't worry about the smoke ring-but if you do, then the ring forms during the time the target meat is below around 140*F-for info.  Now with regard to smoke flavor-smoke with adhere to the meat surface as long as both the meat and smoke are present.  Enjoy the journey.
    Louisville