Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

July 20, 1969-great day to be an American-Where were you?

2»

Comments

• Ellis
    Ellis Posts: 195
    It's good to know someone remembers that far back. thanks paso.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Hey Chip, I thought Alice Kramden was the first person on the moon. ( around 1953 ) That was 16 years before Neil
    That was funny right there! She never actually went but was offered a bunch of rides

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I was on a U.S Navy River Patrol Boat somewhere in the Mekong River Delta. Perhaps the Vam Co Dong River.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    I was on a U.S Navy River Patrol Boat somewhere in the Mekong River Delta. Perhaps the Vam Co Dong River.

My dad was also, I might have been a thought in his future but I think he was worried more about Charlie spoiling his day.

Glad you made it home as well.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    In Aunt Agnes's "Parlor" watching on a 14 inch black and white TV, with my older brother and cousin Ray.  14 years old and will never forget.  
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    I was 18 years old sitting in our living room in Dearborn, Michigan glued to the TV.  It was a beautiful day in the Metro Detroit area.  I was working nights at a place called Como's Pizza delivering pies.  I remember you could have a large pepperoni pizza (16") delivered back then for $4.26. Those were the best days of my life.  No cable, cell phones or PC's yet.  There is a lot to be said for simplicity.  Backyard grilling was not on my priority list.  I had girls on my brain back then.  Soon after I was in Vietnam and my world was forever changed.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

I was 18 years old sitting in our living room in Dearborn, Michigan glued to the TV.  It was a beautiful day in the Metro Detroit area.  I was working nights at a place called Como's Pizza delivering pies.  I remember you could have a large pepperoni pizza (16") delivered back then for $4.26. Those were the best days of my life.  No cable, cell phones or PC's yet.  There is a lot to be said for simplicity.  Backyard grilling was not on my priority list.  I had girls on my brain back then.  Soon after I was in Vietnam and my world was forever changed.

Crazy, my dad went to Allen Park HS, but he graduated in 1966. My uncle graduated in 1969, my uncles still live there. My dad ended up stationed at Moffet Field and stayed in CA eith my mom.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    I was just 6 at the time. I remember it being the only thing on the news that day and for several days following. I'm pretty sure half of the kids in American at that time wanted to grow up to be an astronaut.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Basic training..Didn't even hear about it until later
  • Dirtnaponhold
    Dirtnaponhold Posts: 21
    edited July 2012
    As I watched first the lift off and later that week the landing on the moon, my chest swelled with pride. The years 1961 to 1964 I was employed by Douglas Aircraft Company in Santa Monica California. I was a Jig and Fixture Builder building the Tools that were used to build the fourth stage that went to the moon carrying the Moon Lander. What a thrill to have shared my life with the thousands of people who work so hard to bring this part of history to the world. If it loads here is a picture of the completed S IV b.

• ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    Dirtnaponhold, you just reminded me that I had some pictures from the Kennedy Space Center when I went ages ago. Here are some pics of the beast that got us there. Too bad I had a crappy camera back then.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162

And your reasons are?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • WickedIsland
    WickedIsland Posts: 153

And your reasons are?

Just meant that it happened three years before I was born. New to this so didn't realize that minus followed by a number would be thought of as a rating (if that is what you meant)
  • waltinva
    waltinva Posts: 36
    15 years old. Listened to it on the radio in a truck. My first job was working for a produce stand. We were bringing a load of cantaloupes back from the eastern shore of Maryland. It was "on" everywhere we stopped.