Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cornish hens

Options
Philicious
Philicious Posts: 346
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Planning on putting 4 on the BGE this weekend. Never done these before. Anyone have suggestions on preparing these on the Egg?
Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.

Comments

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Spatchcock works well. Not as much flavour as chicken but they take seasoning and sauce well.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Supercilious_In_5280
    Options
    I've spatchcocked and beer canned them w the little 8oz shooters. Both work well for dinner parties bc everybody gets their own little bird. However I still prefer the full bird spatchcocked chicken, and more importantly so does the mrs
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Instead of spatchcock, I just cut them in half.  Coat with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and favorite rub.  Direct at 350 til done to temp.  Skin side up until last five minutes, then flip to crisp up the skin.  
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Apple Flavored Turkey or Cornish Game Hens
    Brine:
    ½ cup salt
    ½ cup sugar
    1 qt. apple or cranberry juice
    1 Tbsp. rosemary
    1 Tbsp. sweet basil

Honey for basting
    Place turkey in brine for 8 to 12 hours. Remove from brine. Rinse and air-dry. Preheat your smoker and place the turkey on the rack. (open upper and lower cavities to expose insides to smoke flavor.) Smoke flavor with Hickory or Cherry “Chips ‘n Chunks” for 30 minutes per pound or a maximum of 3 panfuls. (3 to 3 ½ hours.)
    Remove from smoker and bake in the oven at 300° about 15 minutes per pound. Baste with honey once during the last hour of cooking.

I used this recipe on my little chief haven't modified it for the BGE yet but it was excellent and I am sure the egg will make it even better.
    Lynnwood WA
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited July 2012
    Options
    This works on Cornish. This was a larger size, we have two size birds here. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.