Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butts on XL

Options
ChefBubba
ChefBubba Posts: 10
edited July 2012 in Pork
How many butts will fit on a XL without multiple levels?

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    More than you can eat.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • ChefBubba
    Options
    i need it to be more than 60 high school football players can eat. hoping to do 5 or 6 next weekend
  • setdahook
    setdahook Posts: 284
    Options
    I did six bone in butts plus a dutch oven of beans and a few hot that we wanted for lunch I normally figure about four meals per butt for four. 
  • ChefBubba
    Options
    built 2 uds smokers a few years ago and graduated this week to an xl bge Cooked 2 butts last night as practice before nexts week's 6 butt cook. i left the kill plug in the guru and i didnt realize it until the morning. i had built my fire with 2 starter cubes and had got the fire to 210 ish before leaving it. at 3 am, not being able to sleep i checked it and it was at 185. at 7 am (when i discovered the plug) it was at 165. lesson learned, the butts ended up fine and i got my first cook in
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I did four this weekend for a party of 35.  Just under 30 pounds of Boston Butt.  Served with buns so I had one and a half left over.  Based on my math, you should be able to feed about 60 as long as you serve the pulled pork on buns.  Even though they were lightly seasoned, they had an excellent bark after 22 hours of low and slow.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI