Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Butts on XL

ChefBubbaChefBubba Posts: 10
edited July 2012 in Pork
How many butts will fit on a XL without multiple levels?
·

Comments

• travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,748
    More than you can eat.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • ChefBubbaChefBubba Posts: 10
    i need it to be more than 60 high school football players can eat. hoping to do 5 or 6 next weekend
    ·
  • setdahooksetdahook Posts: 111
    I did six bone in butts plus a dutch oven of beans and a few hot that we wanted for lunch I normally figure about four meals per butt for four. 
    ·
  • ChefBubbaChefBubba Posts: 10
    built 2 uds smokers a few years ago and graduated this week to an xl bge Cooked 2 butts last night as practice before nexts week's 6 butt cook. i left the kill plug in the guru and i didnt realize it until the morning. i had built my fire with 2 starter cubes and had got the fire to 210 ish before leaving it. at 3 am, not being able to sleep i checked it and it was at 185. at 7 am (when i discovered the plug) it was at 165. lesson learned, the butts ended up fine and i got my first cook in
    ·
  • dlk7dlk7 Posts: 995
    I did four this weekend for a party of 35.  Just under 30 pounds of Boston Butt.  Served with buns so I had one and a half left over.  Based on my math, you should be able to feed about 60 as long as you serve the pulled pork on buns.  Even though they were lightly seasoned, they had an excellent bark after 22 hours of low and slow.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

·